Talk

Advanced search

Is this fair and usual?

(13 Posts)
Deadsouls Tue 11-Jul-17 16:41:15

Hello, I'm posting to get objective viewpoints.
I will try to be brief.

Ex-DH and I were together for about 9/10 years, married for about 2.5 thereabouts. We were not happy together ex-DH had an affair about 5 months after we got married.
Long story short, we are divorced. He left the family home in 2014.

I bought the family home. As in I put the deposit down, and money came from a contribution from my parents. I paid everything; stamp duty, solicitors etc
I have 2 DCs who live with me. I pay all costs but receive nominal child maintenance as he does not earn much.
Ex-DH wants 25% share of the house, when it comes to sale. However, he chose to leave the family home. Is this the normal state of affairs?
I don't understand how as he didn't put anything into the house, the children live with me, he had the affair and left, how then does he claim entitlement to 25%?

I'd really be interested to hear others' experience or views on this.
Thank you

eyebrowsonfleek Tue 11-Jul-17 16:44:20

Do you own the house 100% and when you divorced did you have a clean break order?

NotJanine Tue 11-Jul-17 16:44:30

Starting point is usually 50/50. Doesn't matter if he moved out or had an affair.

You should get professional advice

Deadsouls Tue 11-Jul-17 16:44:43

Oh I should add that I pay all the upkeep, and am responsible for all repairs etc for the house.

eyebrowsonfleek Tue 11-Jul-17 16:46:10

The affair only means that he could agree to backdate payment to 25% of the year he left.

Deadsouls Tue 11-Jul-17 16:48:11

Hmmm I see
No I made a mistake in that I put half the house in his name on the deeds. I know this was very naive of me, but I didn't think we'd split up.

Also I don't believe I have a clean break order. We did online divorce ourselves - minimal input from solicitor or courts etc.

A part of me does not begrudge him, however sometimes I think it seems unfair to me.

Deadsouls Tue 11-Jul-17 16:50:47

I agree that it will be helpful to get more clarity from a solicitor.
Is just the fact that we were legally married that means he is entitled.
We were married for such a short time!

thethoughtfox Tue 11-Jul-17 18:10:56

Unless there are special arrangements for a very short marriage, all assets are now jointly owned.

MrsBertBibby Tue 11-Jul-17 19:19:51

You need to see a solicitor. Eyebrows and Janine are both talking nonsense.

No one can advise you without the whole picture.

NotJanine Tue 11-Jul-17 20:35:39

Why am I talking nonsense? I said she needs to get professional advice.

babybarrister Tue 11-Jul-17 20:36:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seventhgonickname Wed 12-Jul-17 11:39:55

Yep,you need a solicitor.If you put the deeds in his name too then 25%may be a good deal.Were you planning on selling or is he going to try and force a sale?

babybarrister Wed 12-Jul-17 14:32:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now