Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can he take the children 50/50 of the time

(5 Posts)
suntansally Fri 23-Jun-17 15:50:17

This is solicitor speak I'm sure he has been advised of so as to limit my income via maintenance, he has also dropped his profitable 50k business to 16k.
He's still hurting and also thinks I'm not entitled to half the house as he put more in to begin with. I've been SAHM for 16 years whilst he built his business.
Now he wants the children 50% of the time even though he isn't re-housed yet......... help!!!MN it's so sad
Our dcs's are 6,9.11 and 13

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 23-Jun-17 15:54:10

I've always believed that 50/50 is the starting point for negotiations; so it's certainly possible, but I don't know so really I'm just bumping for you.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Fri 23-Jun-17 15:55:27

I'm no expert but do think in UK that there is a starting point of 50/50 unless there are good reasons not to, however practicalities often mean this isn't possible. The important thing IMO is to make sure you get a fair share of the quality time at the weekend and not to just get left with all the 'hardwork' bits e.g. before and after school.

suntansally Fri 23-Jun-17 16:02:34

Well my solicitor advised that because they are sleeping in his dads house in cramped conditions whilst I'm in the spacious family home then for the sake of the children they are better off at home for now until he's more settled. I can't seem to get my head around him having them half the time though when he's been there so little over the years

justabout2016 Fri 23-Jun-17 19:27:33

It's so hard. And you miss them! But if it's at all possible, try to see how it goes. If they're not happy then that's different. But it really is better for them to see both parents. It's hard for us but better for them.

My ex has kids 50/50 (well, he thinks he does - in reality I cover for him a lot of the time!!) My partner had to go to court to see his. His ex offered him just every other weekend! He now has them 6 nights out of 14, and more than half the holidays!

Courts do start at 50/50 as above posters said - unless a good reason not to, usually absence or abuse.

Good luck OP. It's tough, but it does get easier. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now