Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Divorce and getting off the mortgage. Advise please

(12 Posts)
DarkNightDelight Tue 13-Jun-17 19:49:08

My partner is in the process of a long and drawn out a divorce, they own a house where she is still living with their daughter. They have a mountain of ever growing debt most of it kept secret by herself and only owned up to it because we got turned down for a house and I made him check his credit score.

Trying to shorten this post, she's still in the house, mortgage was in arrears but now rectified, shit tonne of debt, ccj's etc.
We have been waiting almost a year to get him off the mortgage, she works 16 hours and can't afford all the bills alone, she won't sell as she doesn't want to up route their daughter who's 13.

She's just today announced she's had an appointment with a financial advisor who's told her that her current credit will not go in her favour of taking over the house. So...she will have her ccjs paid off by Christmas and will then try for a first time buyer mortgage.

My question is how long can he stay tied to that house? It's holding us back financially and we can't get a house while he's tied in that mortgage.

The Halifax can't give him any information and the thought of hanging around until she's paid her debts off (20k loan against the house, 3 ccj's, late gas, electric, council tax)

Sorry for the rambling and thanks for reading.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Tue 13-Jun-17 20:16:15

How did she secure a £20k loan against the house without his knowledge?

DarkNightDelight Tue 13-Jun-17 20:21:01

He was gullible, credit cards, store cards all sorts of credit, he couldn't get into clear score because he didn't know the answers to the questions (what store card was taken out in this year) then it all unfolded.

yourhandfitswithmine Tue 13-Jun-17 20:24:04

Don't quote me but if things like CCJs are on his credit report too I think they'll stay there for a long period of time and you'll struggle to get a mortgage. What's his credit score like? Might be worth going to see a broker maybe?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Tue 13-Jun-17 20:30:19

But how did she manage to secure a loan on the house without his knowledge???! Surely he would have signed for it too

NorthernLurker Tue 13-Jun-17 20:36:32

The answer is a very long time. I don't see how she will pay off that debt and life on a 16 hour week wage. Even when they do sell your partner will need to pay his share of providing for his daughter. He can't leave her homeless so you can buy a house. Is this sort of baggage really what you want?

BaronessEllaSaturday Tue 13-Jun-17 20:42:51

My question is how long can he stay tied to that house? Till the daughter is 18ish. If she can not get anyone to give her a mortgage on her own then he may need to stay on the mortgage until the house is sold once the daughter is an adult.

MrsBertBibby Tue 13-Jun-17 21:02:10

Does he actually have a final order in relation to the finances? I am guesing not. He needs to sort that out.

pinkandwhite26 Tue 13-Jun-17 21:37:59

I'm pretty sure CCJs stay on a credit file for 6 years.

What's the big rush to buy a house with him? Why not let one mess settle down a bit before you start (potentially) creating another?

DarkNightDelight Wed 14-Jun-17 02:50:43

Firstly you know absolutely nothing about my relationship, we're very happy....that's not the issue at all.
I was asking for advise about mortgages in a divorce, he pays above and beyond towards his daughter.
Theirs no bad feeling or bitterness just wanting advise. hmm

DarkNightDelight Wed 14-Jun-17 02:54:21

Their is a financial order but nothing other than the child support money in that.

I'm guessing it could be a long drawn out ting then. I don't know how she'll get a mortgage if at all due to her circumstances and income.

beingsunny Wed 14-Jun-17 03:15:27

Hi if she can't afford to keep the house they will have to sell.

They should have done a full financial separation agreement which covered all debts, requires full disclosure an all assets and liabilities both personal and shared.

Is there a reason this wasn't done?

Is he subsidising the mortgage now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now