Talk

Advanced search

Lawyer costing me too much money

(7 Posts)
thepennyshop Wed 07-Jun-17 15:59:08

I am having a bit of a moan - and wondering what to do.

I initiated court proceedings for divorce and my solicitor is charging ahead happily making more and more work for himself.

I have bought the book on going to the family court without a lawyer.

I just wondered if anyone on here had experience of reducing costs or advice how I should handle it.

Ideally I'd like to keep the lawyer on I suppose- but ask him to only do the bare minimum work to save me money.

Any advice gratefully received

OP’s posts: |
Secretsout Wed 07-Jun-17 16:26:43

Watching with interest. I did my own divorce but I've spent £6k so far. And we are only at the point where the 'draft' consent order has been made and sent to his sol. Its ridiculous. The costs estimate was £3-£5k. I literally dread her number coming up on my phone as I think 'oh, here we go, another £80 for you to ring me'

thepennyshop Wed 07-Jun-17 16:39:34

Yes totally- he seems to be making work for himself. I've paid similar costs so far.

The other day we had a meeting when he was bulldozing ahead in the wrong direction- I summoned up all my assertiveness to say I didn't want to waste time (my money) unnecessarily, so there was no point going ahead on those points.

Next he emails me big long thing still including those points.

Then I have to correct the document and send it back to him - and he sends it back to me for final proof.

I am paying ££££ for all that wasted time and work!!!!

outabout Wed 07-Jun-17 16:47:40

You can economise especially if the separation and divorce is amicable and the situation relatively simple.
There are other threads that mention free websites to download the relevant documents which you can fill in and submit yourself.
Court cost is £250 I think (wife paid) then there is more for final documentation but I think it could be less than £1,000 overall if you are lucky. Alternatively you can fight using solicitors for years and all the money goes to solicitors.
If I were a solicitor I could work 2 hours a week and still be better off than I am now.

MrsBertBibby Wed 07-Jun-17 17:54:04

It sounds to me as if you and your solicitor aren't a good fit.

Secretsout Wed 07-Jun-17 19:21:25

I don't think I'm a good fit with mine MrsBB! I've posted a new thread asking for a recommendation.

Mine does the same penny, she emailed me a letter she was sending to his and said I needed to arrange to go in and see her. I go in and she says 'I'm not sure why you're here'. And I say 'because you said you wanted to see me'. She then proceeded to spend an hour (£250) discussing the details of an offer I'd suggested to her!

thepennyshop Wed 07-Jun-17 23:07:06

Yes me and ex are not amicable at all which is why I had to bring the case to court - as no chance of progress otherwise. But I'd still like to save money where I can.

I got my lawyer through women's aid so I have stuck with him rather than shop around.

Going to read the book I ordered and see if I can get any tips from that too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in