Talk

Advanced search

Access to my home when separated

(11 Posts)
Jolly1970 Tue 23-May-17 09:51:14

My husband moved in with someone else 5 weeks ago after having an affair. He has taken my boys keys to get a key to my house cut and keeps letting himself in when he wants. He does half own the house.. Is there anything I can do?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Tue 23-May-17 18:20:49

Yes change the lock and don't give your sons the new key

SingingTunelessly Tue 23-May-17 18:24:09

No. If he doesn't owns half the house then you can't change the locks without giving him a key. Unless there is abuse noted and logged then that changes the situation obviously.

SingingTunelessly Tue 23-May-17 18:25:10

Sorry that should read 'if he owns half the house'.

RedastheRose Tue 23-May-17 18:30:11

Sorry no you can't. Legally he owns half so is entitled to keys. I know to my sorrow this is true. Mine did the same and has accessed my house ever since he moved out. It is bloody frustrating as I'm not entitled to keys for the flat that he and the 26 year old (he's 47) OW live in (of course she's not with him for his money 😅). When you are home leave your key on the inside of the door or put a bolt on to stop him walking in when you are there. Get a SHL if you haven't already and ask him/her to write and ask him to refrain from entering your home.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Tue 23-May-17 18:32:01

You can change the locks. Because your handbag got stolen didn't it 😉 he can go to court to overrule it but that will take 6 months (and there's no guarantee your handbag won't get stolen again is there 😉) Just do it I would.

ThatsNotMyMummy Tue 23-May-17 18:48:11

Talk to your solicitor. When i spoke to mine there is a funny rule about preventing them benefiting from the property. In order to prevent mine from benefiting sitting on my sofa eating all my biscuits trying to get a blow job i had to pay half the mortgage and the entire interest portion of the mortgage.

But talk to your solicitor about it. Its fucking shit flowers

ThatsNotMyMummy Tue 23-May-17 18:49:15

I was told i could put an additional lock on the property for when I'm there if i am concerned about my security, now i was on my own. So one of those slide ones you have on toilets.

Jolly1970 Tue 23-May-17 23:34:56

Thanks for the advice guys x will defo leave a key in the door when I'm here.. He has agreed today to give me the key but I suspect he may have another one!

C0untDucku1a Tue 23-May-17 23:42:16

Whats the law on going round to his flat and just walking in? Maybe with a cheery smile and biscuits? Then a pie. The wine...

Jolly1970 Tue 23-May-17 23:53:45

Haha would love to be sitting on the sofa when the two of them came home from the pub!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now