Advanced search

Universal Credit

(2 Posts)
tadpole73 Sat 08-Apr-17 01:22:00

I don't know much about this.
Maybe splitting with hubby, so if I bought a smaller house outright, would I not be allowed to claim UC?
Also, when you get child maintenance from your ex, does UC reduce and if you rent out a room in your house?
I ran a quote on the Tax Credit Calculator which stated I'd get £534 each month (to include child allowance and working tax/child element of tax credits), but UC states I will only get £89 child allowance whether mortgaged or not.
I can't believe UC would be £445 less a month?

Any ideas?

TreeTop7 Sat 08-Apr-17 23:16:04

Firstly, are you in a UC area? You can check online. Because if not, you will get TC not UC until you're migrated to UC (probably in 2019/2020).

Owning your home doesn't affect UC or TC. Neither does child maintenance. Neither does the income from Rent-a-Room.

The figures quoted for TC are always 4 weekly not monthly by the way. UC is paid monthly.

I am not familiar with UC but a major difference is that if you're self employed, UC assumes that your weekly profits will be at least 35 x hourly National Minimum Wage. I think that the minimum amount of hours you have to work is higher in general. Also, if you have savings of between £6k and £16k your UC is reduced (savings of 16k or more means you'll get no UC). There's more info here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: