Talk

Advanced search

Child maintainance.

(10 Posts)
Allconsumingshitstorm Thu 06-Apr-17 10:04:01

Hi all

I'm a sahm (currently) in the middle of the divorce process. In fact I'm awaiting my decree nisi. It occurs to me in probably entitled to child maintenance as my STB EX H left the property in January. Does anyone know how I go about this? I'm pretty clueless right now as I don't claim any other benefits.

Thanks so much!!!

Allconsumingshitstorm Thu 06-Apr-17 10:04:24

I think I mean child benefit. Ooops

MrsBertBibby Thu 06-Apr-17 11:46:53

www.gov.uk/child-benefit/how-to-claim

MrsBertBibby Thu 06-Apr-17 11:48:20

Also perhaps tax credits? Are you working?

www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit/how-to-claim

Allconsumingshitstorm Thu 06-Apr-17 12:16:48

Thank you very much. No not working yet. Job, next on the list....

CMamaof4 Thu 06-Apr-17 12:20:23

If your ex is a maintenance avoider you are better off to get it sorted in court.
The child maintenance service are useless for non complient parents.

MrsBertBibby Thu 06-Apr-17 14:53:17

The courts have no ability to make child maintenance orders, other than by consent, in any case where CMS has jurisdiction.

CMamaof4 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:35:17

Oh I thought u could do it when sorting out divorce? No idea then, There are lots of loopholes with the child maintenance service where non resident parents can either get away without paying anything towards their children or have the amount substancially decreased to lower than what it should be.
Unfortunately the child maintenance service claims to have a lot of power in my case and many others it has failed children, and not used its so called powers, They are overstretched and extremely badly run with the only interest in targeting non resident parents who are easier to get the maintenance off of.
My children haven't received a penny in years and arrears jut mounting up which in effect mean nothing as my kids will never see a penny of it.

Hopefully your ex won't avoid too much op and pays for your DC.

MrsBertBibby Thu 06-Apr-17 17:59:53

CMama, there has been a lot of change in child maintenance over the last couple of years. I think people entring the system now are getting better served than used to be the case.

Far from perfect, but I think your experience is a lot less common now.

CMamaof4 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:52:59

I am one of those who entered the new system and so am and have experienced both the new system cms and the old csa, there is no difference they have just changed their name and charged parents taking the money away from the children who's ex's refuse to pay, and that's IF they have managed to collect the money for the children from child support evaders.
Its not talked about enough unfortunately...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now