Talk

Advanced search

Mother's day when you're newly single

(17 Posts)
Nikitasol Fri 24-Mar-17 09:01:27

So it's mothers day this Sunday. I used to be really unbothered about the whole thing but now I'm a newly single mum for some reason it suddenly feels important. The thing is that my 3 year old isn't going to nip to the garage for a bunch of flowers so I'll guess it'll just be hectic parenting day number 7 this week. Is there anything I can do or something you do to sort of make yourself feel special on the day --even though it's a load of consumer cobbles of course

BoringUsername17 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:40:14

Same here although my kids are older. Im going to get them to cook me a nice meal( I'll have to buy ingredients but never mind! )
To be honest even when their dad was here he never organised anything special. He wouldn't think to buy me a present on their behalf or book a table for lunch.
Is there something nice you and the 3yo can do together - just a trip to the park if weather nice. You could maybe do some "Mother's Day baking" make some cakes or biscuits with her. Help her make you a card, if she isn't going to be bringing one from nursery. Watch a nice family film that you both enjoy.

Phillipa12 Fri 24-Mar-17 13:24:37

Last year was my first as a single mum, my boys were 7,2 and 9 months old. We had a lazy morning, usual lunch then park and icecream parlour, where i proceeded to eat the biggest icecream sundae on the menu.

Nikitasol Fri 24-Mar-17 20:26:25

Some nice suggestions. Yes, maybe we'll go for a walk and have a Light lunch somewhere mellow.. plus baking always good!

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Fri 24-Mar-17 20:29:47

This is me too this year. We're going to do 'special breakfast' - either crumpets or hot cross buns so DD1 can make the breakfast herself. Then probably the park, supposed to be good weather. Baking a cake together later, pizza and cake for tea. My kids are 7 and 4 so know it's Mothers Day but aren't old enough to do much on their own.

AnnettePrice Sat 25-Mar-17 08:01:35

Depends where you are but there are some places that are doing mothers day events.
One place here is doing free entry for mums and some daffodils. Kids entry is also free.
I found the places by looking at the local tourist office website.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a fab day.
flowers

TJEckleburg Sat 25-Mar-17 08:08:16

My dh is leaving today. Kids are 14 and 12. He hasn't bothered to buy a card for his own mother (I used to do that for him) so doubt very much that he has organised for them to do anything for me. And they currently hate me because they blame me for the split because I'm in charge of everything. And I'm being too adult to tell them the true story of their father being an incompetent, emotionally illiterate twunt.
Soon, no, not expecting it to be a good day. But I will get on with taking them to their activities, feeding them, making sure they ave everything they need, because I'm their mother and I can't bugger off to my new life without giving a shit

MrsPringles Sat 25-Mar-17 10:01:11

TJ
Im sorry, sounds like a crappy situation. Good work being the bigger person for your kids sake flowers

jeaux90 Sat 25-Mar-17 13:27:43

Been single mum for 6 years. We make pancakes for breakfast together (she is almost 8) then go for a nice walk and have a nice dinner usually.

We will visit my mum tomorrow as she just got out of hospital.

Once she's in bed I will have a nice soak in the bath and watch a movie. Just be nice to yourself and enjoy the time in more of a relaxed mode grin

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Sat 25-Mar-17 16:53:00

flowers for everyone who won't get them from anyone else this year. Wishing you all the best TJ

Nikitasol Sat 25-Mar-17 23:47:57

Thanks all. This has been so helpful. I should probably be in bed now but been seeing a friend and getting tipsy. It's a funny old game this mother's day lark (made up consumer nonsense), so it's silly I feel so sad about it but I'll go with it and embrace my son and enjoy a day with him which is really the most important thing after all. X

colouringinagain Sat 25-Mar-17 23:53:18

Me too - newly separated after long marriage, two dcs. Feels very surreal.

flowers to you all and wine

CreamTeaTotty Sun 26-Mar-17 21:37:39

Just posted in another thread. Will copy over.

Very much like your story TJ xxxx

CreamTeaTotty Sun 26-Mar-17 21:38:38

Wellllll I'm in the process of divorcing and my STBXH lives in the same house. So it was pretty much ignored this morning (as usual). I've never had a normal Mother's Day in 14 years. It's always been shit. So I cried for two hours this morning and then decided to teach my 10 & 14 year old about what I consider to be a normal Mother's Day.

I took them to Tescos and showed them what sort of flowers I like and then gave them £10 to choose me something while I sat outside and then we went out for coffee and cake. Next year we will go out for lunch, just me and them.

Secretsout Sun 26-Mar-17 22:22:32

Same here creamtea no acknowledgement from my STBXH, he still lives here too. I cooked a full English for everyone, did the kids ironing and then cooked a Sunday roast. He couldn't even bring himself to say 'Happy Mothers Day'. Well he actually quoted his annual phrase at breakfast 'Mother's Day every day in this house'. Can't wait for Father's Day this year, I'm very tempted to make sure the kids spoil him and book a table for lunch for them (excluding me). Just to show that I'm a good person and I acknowledge he's their father and it's a special day. I'm also really looking forward to my first one next year when I'll have my new life with my kids and he's not around.

BoringUsername17 Mon 27-Mar-17 01:36:08

Creamtea well done you for taking control of the situation and showing the kids what to do. My first MD as a single mum wasn't too bad in the end. The kids made me breakfast in bed, then I took the littlest one swimming whilst the older ones made home made soup for lunch. Then we went to the pub with our neighbours. I didn't miss stbx at all which was good. He spent the day with his new girlfriend and her kids. I wonder when she's going to realise that he has no friends any more because the only friends he had were mine....

AmyMum2mumStoke Tue 28-Mar-17 00:02:09

Just spotted this thread! My first Mother's Day as a single lady yesterday...me and my 2 year old went out for lunch and got a lovely bunch of flowers off my son (bought for my my mum). Then got home to a card from the ex!!!wtf!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now