Talk

Advanced search

question about spousal maintenance

(3 Posts)
ErnieAndBernie Tue 21-Mar-17 21:49:03

I know spousal maintenance isn't awarded all that often but I was wondering what the general circumstances need to be in order to be awarded it?
I will be divorcing my husband in the next few months. He is a workaholic and frequently travels with work (I'd say last year he was away 2 nights a week for about 35 weeks of the year) and often works ridiculous hours. We have 2 dc who are 9 and 4. I went part time after dc 1 was born and shortly after dc2 was born we moved abroad (within Europe) and I had to quit my job to support him. I now work from home as a freelancer earning very little in terms of hourly wage, he's on around 90k euros a year plus bonus.
Its highly unlikely my earning potential will go above 25k£ when I come back in a few months. My current employer has said they will take me on as permanent staff and should be able to increase hours to school hours (9-3 or similar).
Would it be likely I could get awarded the maintenance, (at least until the kids are in secondary school and I have a chance to increase my hours) because my earning potential has been affected?

ErnieAndBernie Tue 21-Mar-17 21:50:30

for what it is worth the main reason we are separating is because he is financially controlling and would never agree to joint finances, I was even forced into debt at one point as he would not agree to top up what we had to pay in childcare fees

usernamealreadytaken Tue 21-Mar-17 21:53:50

I don't know about awards of spousal maintenance on divorce but I think one of my divorcee friends negotiated it via mediation not the courts. CSA maintenance used to include a parent premium for the parent with care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now