Bedroom sharing with SEN

(10 Posts)
CaptainCarpet Tue 14-Mar-17 21:47:10

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this. My daughter lives with me and has alternate weekends with her dad. He is re-married and has a step-daughter who has autism and hypermobility. My daughter shares a bedroom with her, which I wouldn't mind at all, but this poor girl has sleep problems and is up and down in the night. I'm being taken to court for a child arrangement order soon and I wanted to know where I stand on this as my daughter doesn't get a lot of sleep and looks shattered when she comes home from her dad's.

WhippinPiccadilly1 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:55:03

What would you like from it?

My son has these exact issues, and is up multiple times a night. He has to share with his younger brother. His brother sleeps through most of it, if he does wake, I take DS in to my bed, and the little one settles back to sleep.

WhippinPiccadilly1 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:55:41

How old are the girls?

JigglyTuff Tue 14-Mar-17 21:57:50

It's every other weekend, not every night. Thousands of NT children share rooms with children with SN and sleep disorders.

Are you saying you want to push for no overnights?

MrsBertBibby Wed 15-Mar-17 07:05:46

What is her dad asking for?

CaptainCarpet Wed 15-Mar-17 11:03:31

He has her over the weekend, which is totally fine, it's her family, but she goes for tea on a Monday straight after and she's shattered. I want to request that this is put on hold to see if it makes a difference as she sees him Thursday evenings too

KanyeWesticle Wed 15-Mar-17 11:06:51

Is there a spare bedroom or another option (sofa?) If not, are you asking for no overnights? What does your daughter want?

CaptainCarpet Wed 15-Mar-17 11:39:22

There isn't a spare room, I'm just concerned that she comes home with dark circles around her eyes and her concentration is lacking in school

CaptainCarpet Wed 15-Mar-17 11:44:30

I would like for it to go from two evenings a week to one so that she can get to bed at a reasonable time and doesn't have to go from a weekend of broken sleep to going back and forward

nonameinspiration Fri 17-Mar-17 15:40:13

I think yanbu about cutting the Monday night. My kids one back shattered from dad contact so much so that Mondays are a write off for dd2 who is 4. We are super strict about bedtimes here - we have to be to compensate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now