Advanced search

Do i have to pay these bills?

(7 Posts)
sleepy2grumpy Wed 01-Mar-17 20:20:18

I wrote this on someone elses post but i've had no feedback and i'm getting desperate. I don't know which way to turn. Been separated since last May, Nisi has been issued. My STBXH absolutely and totally refuses to move out. He is a DA to both me and my son, causing horrendous upset for us, everyday, it's like living in hell. I own the house, I am the only earner and I pay for everything, literally everything except the broadband and tv licence, both of which i can live without. STBXH makes no contribution to mortgage, car, insurance or utilities. Nothing. And this is supposed to be ok? It is FA and EA and he's getting away with it. Living under my roof, causing us harm and not paying a penny. He's a bloody sponger and a low life.
He could work but refuses to, probably because he'd be liable for maintenance if he were to get off his arse and work.
There's nothing I can do, but sit and wait, it's driving me nuts. Why do I have to pay for him using my gas, my electric etc. I'm in a huge amount of debt because of him, oh and he drives around in my car (because it's a marital asset) of which he makes no contribution to the insurance or tax and everytime i use the car the bloody petrol light is on.
It is very wearing and people saying there's a light at the end of the very long tunnel is not helping.
I have two questions.
1) I pay the bills by direct debit out of my bank account but all the utility bills are all in his name. (The mortgage, car and insurances are in my name). Should I stop paying the utility bills?
2) The car is apparently a marital asset. Worth about £8000. It is in my name, i pay the finance on it, the tax, insurance, service plan and constantly fill it up with petrol. Can i take his name off the insurance to stop him from using my car?
Thanks Mnetters.

ScarletFever Wed 01-Mar-17 20:32:03

if you;re paying the insurance then stop paying for him/have him removed and make sure he sees the letter confirming this

can you sell the car to pay off debts?

dont stop paying the utilities as this will only get you in trouble

who says the car 'because it's a marital asset'

BoringUsername17 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:02:42

Well my twat of an exhusband took my car keys away out of spite. The police would do nothing about it as the car is in his name. So you could do that, as I had absolutely no recourse.

LillyLollyLandy Wed 01-Mar-17 22:06:12

The car is not a marital asset. Take him off the insurance and remove his keys.

sleepy2grumpy Wed 01-Mar-17 23:09:17

I'm on my second solicitor. The first solicitor told me that the court wouldn't care about a car under £10k and thr car would solely be mine.
My new solicitor said that is not the case, that the car is "a marital asset".
So i'm confused.

AnnettePrice Thu 02-Mar-17 12:59:00

The Car might be a marital asset that needs to be sorted along with all the other financial stuff. That includes the house which is also a marital asset usually. All this should be sorted by the time you get the absolute, Nisi other than showing the judge agrees that you can get divorced doesn't really mean anything.
You don't have to pay his bills. So mobile phone, him on the car insurance, other bills that only benefit him.
Is he going for spousal maintenance?

sleepy2grumpy Thu 02-Mar-17 17:51:12

Thank you Annette.
I don't think spousal maintenance is an option as i don't earn enough to cover my outgoings. I'm borrowing money from family members every month to cover all the bills and put food on the table.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: