Advanced search

Child tax credits

(6 Posts)
newlife17 Mon 20-Feb-17 01:55:45

My boyfriend and I are moving in together. I have 2 children (he is not the father) I claim working and child tax credits and understand working tax credits will reduce but does this effect child tax credits?

OP’s posts: |
MrsBertBibby Mon 20-Feb-17 07:30:07

Both are means tested, so yes, they will both probably reduce or stop altogether.

TreeTop7 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:37:54

Yes. You need to end your single claim and then make a joint claim as soon as possible after he moves in - the sooner the better, to reduce the amount of any overpayment on the single claim.

19lottie82 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:39:10

Yes. You need to cancel your current claim and submit a joint one.

Your benefits may stop if your total earnings are over 23k ish (apart from child benefit) but your household income will be higher now.

Have you had the discussion with your BF that if he moves in with you and your kids then the government will expect him to support you? (I'm guessing he is earning a FT wage)

It's important he understands how much you will be losing before his income comes into the equation.

newlife17 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:13:56

We are moving in together to a new property, well looking at moment so yet to happen. Looked on calculate and it asked for his last years earnings and his hours f working per week. He has a ew job starting next month full time but it didn't ask for salary so was based on last years earnings? I'm confused. Want to play by the rules but not sure why it didn't ask for his salary at present?

OP’s posts: |
newlife17 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:15:32

Just for the record he is amazing and more than happy to help financially with what I will lose as he loves me unlike the narcissistic prick I was married to! X

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in