Advanced search

Advice on divorce proceedings without using a solicitor

(7 Posts)
Blakes87 Sun 05-Feb-17 18:41:46

just wondering if anyone one on here has filed for divorce without using a solicitor and could offer some advice. Things are very amicable between me and my ex. He has agreed that he would sign the papers on the grounds of adultery. We don't have any major assets or savings to negotiate so just wondering if people would advise getting a solicitor or if I should just download the divorce petition off the HMRC website and try filling it in?
Any advice would be welcomed

OP’s posts: |
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 05-Feb-17 18:44:18

We did DP's this way. Money had already been sorted out long before. The only thing I fear could come back to bite him on the bum is his work's pension, but so far is ok pension hasn't kicked in yet.

AshesandDust Sun 05-Feb-17 18:56:44

I'm going through a DIY divorce myself. If both parties are in agreement it's supposed to be pretty straight forward.
Wikivorce is has very helpful advice and a forum.
One thing I've learned though is that citing adultery can make things a bit more difficult. Unreasonable Behaviour is the most popular and easier by all accounts.
I have a link somewhere that I could dig out about filling in the initial form if it would help.

Blakes87 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:05:42

That would be great, thanks and I'll check out Wikivorce.
I would rather go with adultery as that's the only reason the relationship has broken down. He hasn't been unreasonable in any other way and I feel making up several paragraphs on unreasonable behaviour would be difficult to do and may cause more bad feeling. I would rather things stay amicable for the sake of our children
Would people also recommend getting a clean break order?

OP’s posts: |
AshesandDust Sun 05-Feb-17 19:25:50

I can understand your reasoning, it's really difficult to word these things.
I found this site the most useful for showing how to fill out the form:

NotJanine Mon 06-Feb-17 10:05:26

I've done mine myself - it is very straightforward, there really isn't any need to pay a solicitor to do it if he isn't going to contest it. I copied the wording from an example online. My decree nisi is imminent, so I obviously filled them all in correctly!

I'm only getting a solicitor involved for the consent order as you can't do that yourself.

NotJanine Mon 06-Feb-17 10:06:52

Also - I petitioned on the grounds of adultery. Don't give the name of the other party, there isn't any need to. The paperwork will just state 'co-respondent - unknown'

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in