Advanced search

divorcing need advice

(5 Posts)
farley62 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:50:52

Hb wants a divorce. Been together 5yrs married for 2yrs. We have a daughter, 2yrs. He wants her every weekend for overnight stays. He does not discuss finances. I am blinds, I gave up my job and put a large amount of cash into the house. There are issues around his abilities with our daughter, she is showing sings of unusual behaviour after his visits.

Financial issues, will I be able to keep the house? Will there be a 50\50 split, even if I put the bulk of the equity in? Does he have to provide a home for his child? Can I claim spousal maintenance?

Visitation, what visitation is granted? What issues do the courts listen too? He has only seen her for 2 months out of the 5 months separated. Does not ask after her and uses her for emotional comfort.

He could be autistic but now won't get tested. Has anyone have a child psychologist report done for court.


KenPatrick Fri 13-Jan-17 10:37:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hermonie2016 Fri 13-Jan-17 10:58:06

Get legal advice quickly.
2 years married is a relatively short marriage and typically means you are more likely to get your money back however it depends on his circumstances.

Childcare and finance are separate so approach each one separately.

How are you coping financially now?

It would not be usual for him to get every weekend, typically every other weekend plus one night in the week but again it's really about the circumstances and if he hasn't seen her he might need to build up to that schedule.
You can propose what you feel is reasonable contact, offer in writing, and if he doesn't agree then he has to start legal proceedings against you.

It's not relevant if he is autistic and unless there are child endangerment issues. It's not likely to affect his ability to see or care for your daughter.I would not even try to debate this unless you have clear examples of how unsafe he is.

farley62 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:31:21


Thanks for the advice. Am getting legal advice soon. I am now reduced to income support. Do the courts take into account the disability of the mother, surely that fact I am blinds and he wants to take her to another town where I don't have access means something

user1484322557 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:53:16

Hi Farley, I've recently had to engage a solicitor and can highly recommend her. pm me for her details. best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now