Advanced search

Help with fees

(8 Posts)
shimmybear Tue 10-Jan-17 19:10:50

I am on DLA benefit. I want to divorce my husband . Am I able to claim help with legal fees

Ilovecaindingle Tue 10-Jan-17 19:12:34

As far as I know you only qualify for legal aid if you have evidence of domestic violence. . Some solicitors have a set fee and some will let you pay in instalments.

mlr1uk Tue 10-Jan-17 20:45:42

If you're on benefits you should get legal aid for the divorce. If you have savings or assets (a house) you may need to repay whatever legal help you get but this would be at a much lower hourly rate than a normal private solicitor rate

Most solicitors do a free first appointment so I'd suggest going to see a local solicitor


Lagirafe Tue 10-Jan-17 21:53:49

Sadly, I think Legal Aid has changed and very difficult to get unless you have documented evidence of Domestic Violence.

Blushingm Wed 11-Jan-17 18:24:09

You can apply for help with the £550 court fee on the gov website but as for solicitors fees there's no help

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Wed 11-Jan-17 18:46:46

i also believe that it has to be documented DV within last 2 years. So do write to your MP about it. Very good parliamentary debate on domestic abuse, family courts etc in Sept 2016. The MPs can only campaign for changes if they know there are issues for their constituents.

shimmybear Thu 12-Jan-17 13:20:13

Thank you for all your answers.

Heatherjayne1972 Mon 23-Jan-17 16:10:12

My husband went to prison for DV and I don't qualify for legal aid

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: