My DH has been to see a solicitor

(11 Posts)
Mybeautifullife1 Wed 23-Nov-16 20:53:23

My not so DH has been to see a matrimonial solicitor. He's not told me, I just found the receipt. Our marriage isn't great.

WWYD? Do I ask him what's going on? Or do I just wait?

Hassled Wed 23-Nov-16 20:55:27

You should get some legal advice yourself before you confront, just so if he feeds you bollocks about your rights etc you have some facts to hand. And sorry - this must be awful.

DearMrDilkington Wed 23-Nov-16 20:56:29

Are you sure he went to a solicitor for a divorce and not something else?

Mybeautifullife1 Wed 23-Nov-16 20:58:22

Thanks Hassled. I wasn't going to confront as such. Thought I might just hand him the receipt. But you right - I need advice. Thank you.

Mybeautifullife1 Wed 23-Nov-16 20:59:15

Definitely divorce. It's a firm that only do matrimonial work.

PacificDogwod Wed 23-Nov-16 21:00:58

Yes, I'd seek legal advice.
You need to know where YOU stand, and not rely on whatever he might be telling you.

Sorry you are in this position - it must be crap.
thanks

Bloke82 Fri 25-Nov-16 17:30:00

I don't think you need to also get advice before confronting. The question is how you 'confront': would an open question like 'how are we'? open things up?

Why have things been so bad? Don't feel you need to share if you don't want to.

Aussiemum78 Fri 25-Nov-16 17:34:03

I would be copying paperwork and stashing some cash if there is joint accounts, just in case. Then I'd confront him.

Jr567673 Tue 29-Nov-16 13:23:47

Very good advice from Aussie! Don't say a word to him. Get a free half an hour appointment and start stashing and whatever you do don't move out of the house! Don't worry about hiring a solicitor yet as he needs to serve the petition first (mine neglected to tell me he'd filed and it just landed on my door step, prick) there also needs to be some attempt at mediation before he can move ahead. Just quietly get your ducks in a row and be sickly sweet to him in the mean time. What a coward!

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 29-Nov-16 13:54:34

You have the advantage of prior warning here. Time to get your ducks in a row.

Start copying paperwork and storing it somewhere, and make a legal appt yourself.

Sorry that you've found out like this. You must be shocked even knowing the marriage isn't in a good place. flowers

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 29-Nov-16 13:55:21

Oops cross Ducked with JP there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now