Talk

Advanced search

Friend getting divorce, how can I help her

(5 Posts)
harajukubabe Tue 01-Nov-16 11:18:18

Have known friend for over 10 years, together with her partner. I am no longer in same country as friend so our conversations are short over apps. Just heard the devastating news that they r getting divorced. He claims to have been unfaithful to her after 1 year of their 15 plus year marriage. They have 2 DC.

How can she secure her financial future and her childrens.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Tue 01-Nov-16 14:46:03

Can they not just split the assets 50/50?

blueshoes Tue 01-Nov-16 15:35:18

Someone will come along with better experience of this.

The first thing that pops into my mind as to how she can secure her financial future and those of her children is for her to speak to a lawyer in her country for a view of what the law will award her in a split as well as the likely custody/residential arrangements.

Which country is she in? Was she originally from a different country but moved there with dc and dh?

harajukubabe Thu 03-Nov-16 12:16:34

Exactly my thoughts blueshoes.

Couple of lawyers she saw are telling her that the best chance she has is 50:50 share of finances. How can that be when he is the one who cheated.

Also, how are debts divided? He had also stacked up substantial debts.

Jr567673 Tue 29-Nov-16 13:36:13

Hi hun, unfortunately the courts don't care why youre divorcing. How old are the kids? They will start at 50/50 but then lots of other things are taken into account such as where he kids will live and who's the resident parent. As I have our son I kept the house and all the equity as he wanted to save his pension. Where there are kids involved it's unlikely there will be a 50/50 split and the majority will go to the resident parent.
Unfortunately I can't advise on debts but I assume you can split these also x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now