When to tell ex partner that divorce is started?

(5 Posts)
Pringlesandwine Wed 12-Oct-16 14:22:28

Hi
Me and my Ex partner are amicable at the moment (as much as we can be but get on okay for DC)
I have decided to file for divorce. We have been separated over a year and I just want to get on with my own life now. I've filled in the forms and put brief reasons of unreasonable behaviour which he would hopefully agree too as they are reasons we split. If i send the forms off today, would I get notice from the court before he recieves the forms in the post? I would like to give him a heads up of what's in there but don't want to do it too early and give him time to stew on the reasons before he needs to.
Thanks

Arcadia Wed 12-Oct-16 14:26:40

No they will send it out to him and you simultaneously when they issue it. You might want to mention it to him.

hermione2016 Wed 12-Oct-16 14:33:59

I think it's best to discuss it ahead of time, give him the opportunity to process it and perhaps share the draft.

I assuming you have no fear of violence? as that would be a different situation.

Pringlesandwine Wed 12-Oct-16 15:50:29

Thanks for the replies. It's things like this that don't feature in the FAQ bit on the GOV website smile
No fear of violence at all hermione. I'm seeing him on Saturday for handover so think I'll hold fire with the form sending and tell him then what I'm doing and what I've written in the notes section.
Thanks for your help both of you star

Arcadia Thu 13-Oct-16 12:43:08

Good idea pringles. It is part of the family law protocol (used by most solicitors) that you let the other person see the draft prior to issue. and make sure he understands that you had to go on unreasonable behaviour because it is not possible to go on separation until 2 years have passed. Are you going to ask him to contribute to the petition fee? Now £550! (Am presuming you are in England or Wales).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now