Talk

Advanced search

Conflicting advice re mediation, fees and solicitors where to start?

(5 Posts)
LewisAH16 Wed 12-Oct-16 12:49:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Afterthestorm Wed 12-Oct-16 16:02:34

Go on the gov.uk website and search for "can you get legal aid", there is a section on it. I think Cab may have been saying you can get legal aid for mediation, which is usually correct in divorce but the solicitor thought you meant can you get legal aid to pay their bills, which is now not the case other than in other certain circumstances such as domestic abuse.

There is a really good document to look at which is often linked to on here. Go to www.familylaw.co.uk and it should bring it up, it should tell you all you need to know. You can do a lot of the form filling yourself which has saved me a fortune, just use the solicitor for checking them and advice.

LewisAH16 Wed 12-Oct-16 16:34:35

MrsBertBibby Wed 12-Oct-16 18:54:25

Don't be scared of agreeing things at mediation.

Mediation will take several sessions, first to cover financial disclosure, and then term of settlement. If you reach agreement, you then should take advice (the mediator prepares a document setting everything out for the lawyers) and if your solicitor says it's a bad deal, you can back away from it and renegotiate.

The best way is to see the solicitor before mediation, because then you can negotiate with greater confidence. And then after. I have plenty of clients coming for advice during the mediation too, which obviously increases the cost, but I think also increases the chance of mediation working.

As to maintenance, in most cases, all you get is CSA/CMS maintenance, your ex would need to be on a pretty hefty salary to be likely to be able to pay spousal on top. But a nominal spousal maintenance order (ie a fiver a year) is usually appropriate to protect your position unless your kids are nearing adulthood.

Mediation is indeed still available for family mediation (means tested of course). But not for most legal work.

LewisAH16 Fri 14-Oct-16 03:45:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now