Advanced search

H on ESA, I would like us to separate, will his rent be paid by benefits?

(4 Posts)
Loftella Wed 05-Oct-16 14:30:52

Have just written a lengthy post about my current situation with H but it's far too long for me to expect anyone to read! But I'd really like some practical advice. H and I have, I think, reached the end of the line and living with him has become unbearable (many reasons including EA, personality change, refusal to seek help for his behaviour).

He has been off work for almost two years with an as yet undiagnosed physical/mental condition and is on ESA with a PIP payment to help with getting around. If he moved out and found somewhere to rent are there benefits that would cover any of his rent? We own our house (it was bought and renovated entirely with my money but I know as we're married he'll have a right to some of the money from it) and have one DC. Doctors can't work out what is wrong with H, but his behaviour towards me and DS has become intolerable and I can't face living like this for much longer. Thanks.

Fourormore Fri 07-Oct-16 15:27:59

You can use the entitledto website to find out which benefits he would be entitled to and how much.
If he is named on the deeds of your house then that could be problematic and you may need to call the council to ask them how they deal with that sort of situation.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 07-Oct-16 15:33:15

Hi Loftella. I work in welfare rights. Your STBexH can get Housing Benefit. Capital in a house is generally taken into account but there are disregards which apply if said house is occupied by an ex partner. He should be fine to claim.
Sorry your in this situation. I hope things improve for you flowers

Loftella Sun 09-Oct-16 08:02:07

Thank you both. And thanks for the flowers unlimited smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now