Advanced search

Can't think straight.

(4 Posts)
winkywinkybumbum Mon 12-Sep-16 22:10:49

Please be gentle. I am getting myself I a tailspin.

The father of my child became my ex in May and he will FINALLY be moving out in January. I have a new partner but obviously it is very early days and I don't want to involve him or rely on him financially at all.

I can't work out how I will pay my direct debits etc before my tax credits and HB kick in. I can't work out which way will be best. I will be coming off the joint account and using my own account for all bills and rent from January onwards.

Can someone help me please? I can't see the woods for the trees. Do I cancel the direct debits then start them again (barring the rent and council tax of course) once the benefits etc start paying?

I just can not get my head straight.

LisaB777 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:50:53

You can claim tax credits, if you an your ex are nolonger together, even if you are under the sameness roof. Set up a bank account and ring the tax credit helpline. I claimed as a single parent before I moved myself and my 2 boys from the family home. You will have to manually move all your DDs over to your new account by ringing the relevant companies they are with, as the banks can't do it automatically from a joint account.
It all seems very complicated but the thought of doing these things is worse than the reality. Things will get easier.

LisaB777 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:51:37

same roof

winkywinkybumbum Mon 12-Sep-16 23:29:03

Can you really? Thank you so much. That is a great help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now