Talk

Advanced search

How do I know what I'm entitled to?

(3 Posts)
Jam29 Fri 02-Sep-16 17:23:14

We've only just broken up last week and it sounds like I'm a money grabber but I'm honestly not. I just don't want to be taken unaware by him offering me a settlement and me accepting something I shouldn't.
We've been married 10 years with a 6&5 year old. The first two years I was student. Then worked for one year then went on mat leave and looked after the kids. I've worked for a further two years- so basically three out of the ten years.
I don't know what he earns exactly, I'm guessing 200-250k a year. When I work I earn about 19k. He owned his home outright when I met him and married and we sold for 375k. We now have a home worth I'm guessing 1.1million with a 360k mortgage remaining.
My question is he entitled to keep the money, 375k, from his first house even though we lived in it married?
Neither of us have a pension but he was squirreling money away in ISAs and bonds for our future. Am I entitled to any of that?
Because my kids are young still I am unable to work full time due to my job requiring unsociable hours.
Thank you

caroldecker Fri 02-Sep-16 17:44:24

The initial position tends to be 50:50, this is then flexed based on need and future position.
This includes all assets. Are you certain he does not have a work pension.
It is likely you would get half the £375k, half the house equity and half the isas and bonds. If you can, you need copies of all the isa and bonds docs, as well as bank statements to provide evidence of the money.

MrsBertBibby Fri 02-Sep-16 19:26:37

Don't take or copy documents that belong solely to him, they are of no use to your lawyer and will put you potentially in the wrong with the Court.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now