Talk

Advanced search

Married abroad advice

(10 Posts)
MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Tue 23-Aug-16 00:43:58

DP is still married. The forms were sent for divorce, but bounced back due to needing a translation of the marriage cert, but this never got done.
His ex desperately wants a 'divorce' now but has decided that they aren't actually legally married in the UK. They are both UK citizens and travelled purely to marry.
DPs ex is a game player and compulsive liar and we think she may be up to something? Is she telling the truth or ulterior motive?
DP currently has marriage cert due to filing for divorce, but she has asked for it back, for 'proof' she isn't legally married.
Any advice anyone?

murrell0cherri Tue 23-Aug-16 07:56:08

Get the translation, there are loads of providers on the internet, and forward this to the court/divorce centre as requested.

Make a photocopy before sending and keep this for your records.

The courts in England & Wales do recognise marriages that have taken place outside of the UK.

If there are any problems with the legitimacy of the marriage/certificate the court/divorce centre will inform you.

This way it's not guess work

Either the divorce goes through or (unlikely but remotely possible) the marriage is invalid and they don't need a divorce.

murrell0cherri Tue 23-Aug-16 07:57:01

Get the translation, there are loads of providers on the internet, and forward this to the court/divorce centre as requested.

Make a photocopy before sending and keep this for your records.

The courts in England & Wales do recognise marriages that have taken place outside of the UK.

If there are any problems with the legitimacy of the marriage/certificate the court/divorce centre will inform you.

This way it's not guess work

Either the divorce goes through or (unlikely but remotely possible) the marriage is invalid and they don't need a divorce.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Tue 23-Aug-16 17:43:28

Thank you for the advice smile
That's what I thought but his ex has booked the engagement party and is setting a date before divorce proceeding have even begunhmm

Cabrinha Tue 23-Aug-16 21:45:30

Surely a quick Google will tell you if their marriage is binding in the UK?

I wouldn't send her the only copy, I would get a certified copy done by a solicitor and send that, keep the original.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Tue 23-Aug-16 23:19:32

Yep the google we did suggests it is legal, but she seems certain that it isn't. Either wishful thinking or she's up to something, just not sure what?!
That's a good idea thanks

babybarrister Thu 25-Aug-16 16:19:25

The validity of overseas marriages is not necessarily very straightforward - depends where it was .....!

Clearly if the UK would not recognise the marriage then there is no need for a divorce

titchy Thu 25-Aug-16 16:23:43

Where was it? <nosey>

Minime85 Thu 25-Aug-16 18:16:15

I have a friend whose ex did this to her as a control thing and dragged her through the courts as she then had to prove it was true and it was and she was found in the right.

cannotlogin Wed 31-Aug-16 21:23:38

I think the rule of thumb is if you intended to get married, you will be seen as married. Speak to the court about translations - it may need to be in a particular format to be accepted. Ignore the ex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now