We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What next? Still no makntenance

(5 Posts)
whateverloser Sun 21-Aug-16 16:56:47

Well two years on, CMS involvement, bailiffs sent and still no money for our five dc. He has no contact- his choice and doesn't acknowledge birthdays or Christmas for them either. Emotionally, we are over the worst, however, financially, I am struggling. I work full time and pay child care, and although I get tax credits, this doesn't take into account that I receive no maintenance. I have looked into working abroad, in order to earn more. I emailed exdh to inform him of my intentions and he said he would not allow it and would contact the police, as I would be kidnapping the children he has no contact with. Any suggestions? He is driving me mad!

Fourormore Sun 21-Aug-16 17:48:59

although I get tax credits, this doesn't take into account that I receive no maintenance.
It does, actually. Benefits/tax credits assume that no maintenance is received because it cannot be relied upon.

If you have exhausted all channels for getting money through the CMS, I'm not sure what else you can do. Have you approached your MP? Relocating abroad seems like a very drastic option and would presumably be expensive to relocate?

whateverloser Sun 21-Aug-16 18:16:22

What I meant by the tax credit comment was that I would get the same if he laid maintenance or not. As far as the cost of relocating- it is included in the vendors of the job- flights, shipping costs, accommodation on arrival, and I would earn more. He won't allow it though and as I am now, I can't afford to pay for legal advice or take him to court myself, as my income is spent maintaining my five dc.
I did speak to my MP but then moved house and so constituencies, so that is something that I need to do again really.
The CMS debt is of a low status it would seem.

Cabrinha Sun 21-Aug-16 23:04:54

Can you apply to the court for a Specific Issues order?
You do have to go to mediation first so there is some cost involved.
But surely (I have experience) if he hasn't seen the children for TWO YEARS you have a good chance that a judge would agree that your economic stability was in the interests of the children's welfare and allow it?

whateverloser Sun 21-Aug-16 23:52:12

I've never heard of that- what does that involve? As it is, the system seems to put unnecessary pressure on the remaining parent, who is already shouldering the financial burden of the children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now