Advanced search

Maintenance- how much?

(12 Posts)
Blushingm Fri 12-Aug-16 00:01:57

Hi. DH & I are separated and I need him to pay a contribution for the DC etc.

How is it usually worked out? He's living with his parents who won't be charging him anything and his only out goings are car tax, phone bill & tools for work. The website only asks his gross income but I'd have thought living expenses would be taken in to account - I don't know how much to expect him to pay

eyebrowsonfleek Fri 12-Aug-16 00:04:57

There are maintenance calculators.

The minimum payable is a percentage of income minus money for overnights that the non-resident parent looks after the children.

The percentage is dependent on the number of children and living expenses don't come into it.

Blushingm Fri 12-Aug-16 00:08:42

He won't be having them over night due to there being no where at ex ils for them to sleep, plus I don't want ils to have contact as they are total crazy narcissists

JenLindley Fri 12-Aug-16 00:15:24

Use the CMS calculator.

Tuesday11 Fri 12-Aug-16 17:41:20

I'm in the same situation, just separating. I've done the calculator online but it doesn't seem to take into account things like nursery fees etc. ATM what I'm paying a month for dd's nursery is more than the suggested contribution from ex!

JenLindley Fri 12-Aug-16 20:57:07

child support calculators work out the minimum a NRP has to pay. This figure is to cover all child related expenses including childcare. You can ask the NRP to contribute more (a more realistic figure) but they only legally have to pay the minimum calculated. If the NRP isn't earning much then no, their payments won't cover half of childcare costs but equally if you aren't earning much you should be entitled to working tax credits with a childcare element that pays up to 70% of your childcare costs if using a registered childcare provider.

eyebrowsonfleek Sun 14-Aug-16 02:52:15

If you have 50/50 care then Each parent pays for nursery on their day. If nursery is too expensive after any tax credits you may get, it might be worth finding out the cost of childminders and other nurseries in the area.

Tuesday11 Sun 14-Aug-16 12:56:04

Thanks. He's only having her one night a week ATM with some visits at the weekends but does have a decent salary so may ask for a bit more. Will get onto the tax credit office as I should imagine that will solve the problem

Minime85 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:04:35

The online calculator is a good place to start. Ex and I then negotiate about extras like school trips etc. Without safeguard reasons you take to court you won't be able to prevent contact with in laws.

Blushingm Sun 14-Aug-16 21:09:32

Would the fil having hit ds be counted as a safeguard issue?

Minime85 Mon 15-Aug-16 08:22:21

Yes but you'd have to go throug police/courts. You need to get solicitor advice regarding that I think.

LemonSqueezy0 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:32:21

They won't take into account whether he has low outgoings in terms of rent etc. It's a plain and very basic percentage of his income and he certainly can't be forced to pay more than this, however unfairly balanced you feel this is. If you can work something out between you that covers actual costs then it may be better for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now