Advanced search

Changing back to maiden name

(13 Posts)
piddlypoddlypoo Thu 04-Aug-16 14:45:28

I think I am moving towards the idea of changing back to my maiden name as part of the decree absolute. I need to talk to dd and if she feels very firmly against the idea I won't do it though.

But I am wondering if I can just change my name at work back to my maiden name without the divorce documentation (which is a waaayyyy off). It would feel like a step towards reasserting my own identity? Has anyone done this. Would it seem weird before I've got divorced? In this job I've alway used my married name. And obviously my bank etc will have to continue to be married name until the divorce comes through.

OP’s posts: |
Missgraeme Thu 04-Aug-16 14:57:49

I changed mine by deed poll for £20!! Long before the divorce was done!!

justdontevenfuckingstart Thu 04-Aug-16 15:03:38

I deed polled when I found out the ow was pregnant. Was important for me at the time. It didn't matter to anything tho and it was pre social media and didn't impact anywhere. Was just something I wanted to do.

Fourormore Thu 04-Aug-16 17:23:34

Yes and you don't need to pay. Just google free deed poll.

redshoeblueshoe Thu 04-Aug-16 17:33:27

You don't need to do a deed poll. Just tell everyone from now on your name is Miss Maiden name. That's perfectly legal.

Minime85 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:23:33

I use maiden name at work but all legal stuff is in married name which I hate. My doctors said won't change it unless see a change of name by deed poll! I was going to do it this summer but the thought of paying to change passport etc just stops me

Janey369 Fri 05-Aug-16 13:36:42

If you do a free deed poll change, changing your driving licence is free and you can use that for anything that needs photo ID. You can continue to use your passport in your married name until it expires, you just need to remember to book all flights etc in that name.

Just5minswithDacre Mon 08-Aug-16 17:50:30

You have every legal right to use your 'maiden' name whenever you like. It's still your name.

If you need to change the name your account is registered in and need documentation for that, either your marriage certificate or decree absolute are sufficient.

FGS don't pay for a deed poll to use your OWN name confused

Just5minswithDacre Mon 08-Aug-16 17:51:56

hate. My doctors said won't change it unless see a change of name by deed poll!


SusieQwhereareyou Thu 11-Aug-16 14:44:22

I changed my name at the Dr's and on my driving licence with a free deed poll downloaded from t'internet. Once I had a driving licence in my maiden name, everything was much easier.

DS's didn't want me to change my name but I pointed out to them it made no difference to them as they address me as Mummy. Then they weren't fussed.

Minime85 Thu 11-Aug-16 14:59:14

I'm going to do it now!

FinallyHere Thu 11-Aug-16 16:17:29

The only think to keep an eye on, is if the name you use at work is different to that's on your passport, and they book travel for you. Hotels are fine, but to board a flight, your ticket needs to match the name in your passport exactly.

Go for it, get people to call you by the name your want.

Cindy614 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:48:12

In Ohio (USA) you are able to change it one time for free, during a divorce.. I had a friend change her name to the "meaning" of her maiden name, because she didn't care for the memories that she had with her maiden name and she did not want to keep her ex-husband's name

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in