Advanced search

Separating - who pays what?

(9 Posts)
Blushingm Tue 02-Aug-16 17:02:19

DH and I are separating.

At the moment he brings home about £1400 pcm

I'm a full time student. I get £300 tc, £137 child benefit, £175 dla and £387 bursary

I'm staying in the house with 2 dc but I don't know what I should ask DH to pay for

OP’s posts: |
Fourormore Tue 02-Aug-16 17:04:42

Will your benefit entitlement change when he leaves?

The child maintenance website has a calculator you can use to see what he should be paying. Anything above that would have to be by agreement and I'd strongly recommend against relying on it. My ex agreed to a higher amount and then chopped it down without warning on several occasions.

Missgraeme Tue 02-Aug-16 17:12:25

35%of his wages for 2kids.

Fourormore Tue 02-Aug-16 17:23:46

35%?? Says who?

Blushingm Tue 02-Aug-16 18:10:05


Also we own our house, with a mortgage. How would that go? My dad has offered to buy it and rent it to me so me and the kids won't have to move. We've got about £40k equity - would DH be entitled to any of it? He didn't pay any of the deposit when we bought it

OP’s posts: |
lifeisunjust Tue 02-Aug-16 18:14:23

It would be impossible to say what you should ask.
Assuming it will be 50/50.
How much does your husband earn?
Will you work too?
You should really be aiming for as equal standard of living each, but if your husband is a high earner, he won't be happy to be subsidising your studies.
It really isn't possible to say more, without more information.

FYI, my husband's net income is 26k per year and I manage to get 35% of that, more than CMS would oblige him to pay, yet it is still less than half what I contribute from my income for 4 kids. You might be very lucky to manage 35% but it depends on so many more factors.

lifeisunjust Tue 02-Aug-16 18:25:41

On the figures youve given however to equalize it would be around 250 pounds. That would give you over 1200 pounds. If no housing costs then that is a rather large income for 1 adult with 2 kids. Leaves him with 1150 and share children s costs such as child care and clothes. Again based on 50 50 parenting.

Blushingm Tue 02-Aug-16 18:32:42

I'll work ad hoc shifts but my course has 37.5 hour per week placements so it's had to fit a lot of hours in

I'll not have council tax as I'm a student, I pay at the moment £100 gas £100 ele £65 phone, £30 home ins plus everything for the kid (clothes shoes etc) I also contribute as much as I can to the mortgage as he says he can't afford it all

He's moved to his parents who take £0 off him

OP’s posts: |
Fourormore Tue 02-Aug-16 18:47:13

You should probably go and see a solicitor. These things can get quite complicated.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in