Advanced search

travelling abroad with different surname to children

(9 Posts)
alwayssunshine Fri 24-Jun-16 08:28:40

(not sure where to post this). I know some countries have changed the law/their requirements (e.g. South Africa) re travelling abroad with different surnames. I'm travelling to Germany with my 2 children. both under 18, one is over 16. I have copies of birth certificates, marriage certificate and DA. They are aware we may be questioned as to why we have different surnames, and they've been asked before 'who's that lady travelling with you', by customs officers. Do I need any other paperwork? Thank you

MrsBertBibby Fri 24-Jun-16 09:53:26

No, that should be enough.

CommonBurdock Fri 24-Jun-16 22:11:54

Not sure of your circs but I always take a letter from
the other parent with his phone number giving permission so they can check if they want. In addition to all the above.

Hulababy Fri 24-Jun-16 22:36:40

Dd travelled abroad with my parents. I gave them a letter to say we gave permission. Would you be able to have similar?

alwayssunshine Sat 25-Jun-16 06:13:48

Thanks for your replies. I will ask exh for a letter just in case it is needed smile

Rojak Sat 25-Jun-16 06:43:33

I have a different surname to my kids & have travelled to many different countries on my own with them - has never been an issue.

lifeisunjust Sat 25-Jun-16 09:21:28

Customs Officers don't question children on their identities, Border/Immigration Officers do.

There are no obligatory papers in the EU with a few tiny exceptions such as Romanian children always need a formal paper. British children don't have any obligatory paperwork.

However, take photocopies of their full birth certificates. That will be sufficient for UK-Germany. For exit/entry to the UK, Border Officers must as part of their mandate be sure under 18 year olds are not in any danger. Section 55 of Borders Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009, is the precise legislation regarding protecting children travelling in and out of the UK. Nowhere does it oblige documents, you basically use common sense, how do I prove the parental link and the answer is a full birth certificate as full parent names are on it, if any further name changes have taken place for child or adult since birth, you take those docs too.

It's my job. This is correct information.

CopperPot Sat 25-Jun-16 09:36:57

I made my surname their middle names because of this.

alwayssunshine Sun 26-Jun-16 12:34:28

Thank you so much lifeisunjust Sorry for my mistake re Customs Officers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now