Talk

Advanced search

Standing up and talking in court

(5 Posts)
datingdisaster41 Mon 13-Jun-16 14:45:26

My ex has decided he is going to take me to court (mediation first but ultimately says he will go to court if I don't give in to his demands re childcare arrangements). Can anyone tell me what the process is on the day, i.e. do my ex and I stand up and talk in the courtroom? I understand the process beforehand, i.e. that we each attend mediation, get solicitor etc but not sure if we get a chance to give our own point of view on the day.
Thanks

JessicaRabbit3 Mon 13-Jun-16 14:47:02

No your solicitor would speak for you but I couldn't afford one so I spoke on my behalf

fuzzywuzzy Mon 13-Jun-16 14:50:34

Mostly a barrister does the talking, if there's a specific issue the judge might appoint a CAFCASS officer to investigate further and you'll need to return to court.

The only time I had to speak was when I was questioned by ex's barrister, as I wanted contact completely stopped. It took several days and there were various agencies involved. I had to go and sit in the witness stand (I suppose that's what it's called), a little boxes off area close to the judge and answer questions made out to me by ex's legal representation.

If it gets to that there will be a lot of prep before witness statements and agency reports etc.

Make sure you offer whatever you are in writing so you have something concrete to show the judge you have offered and attempted to be reasonable.

bibliomania Mon 13-Jun-16 16:16:20

You'll write down most of your arguments first to provide to the court. I've been to quite a lot of hearings at this point, and most of the time there isn't much to say. The judge will have read the documents (you hope), might ask a few questions, and will probably lecture you both about the need to agree for the sake of your child, and will then make a decision. It's only when we got to the point of a fact-finding that we did much talking. There isn't much need to prepare speeches or anything.

datingdisaster41 Tue 14-Jun-16 00:39:46

OK - thanks all - this is all really helpful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now