Advanced search

Tax credits/child benefits

(3 Posts)
tic73 Mon 13-Jun-16 08:49:18

Going through a divorce and it had come to light that my money controlling husband has been paying a massive overpayment hence our payments stopped a while ago.
I was not aware of this. I'm now embarking on single life with 2 children and worried sick about phoning HMRC incase they say I'm not entitled to anything until payment outstanding is settled. My husband pays off a certain amount per month. My question is will I be penalised for this or will they take my case as a new claim?

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Mon 13-Jun-16 15:04:57

I'm quite sure it'll be classed as a new claim.

checkingthedetails Mon 13-Jun-16 19:49:55

It's a new claim (I am not an expert, please don't take my word for it, but this is what happened to me).

I had a letter saying that the previous joint claim with my husband had been overpaid by £120. When I called the tax credit people, I was advised that I was only liable for half of this amount. Even when I told them that my husband would never pay his half of the outstanding amount, and that they wouldn't be able to find him easily, I was only required to pay "my" half.

If you tell the tax credit folk about the domestic/financial abuse, they may well be sympathetic.

Good luck, with this and with everything else as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now