Talk

Advanced search

Really want to separate but can't afford two homes

(9 Posts)
Hotwaterbottle1 Sat 11-Jun-16 14:55:56

How on earth do people manage? I've done all the sums, checked my entitlements and nothing adds up. How do you do it?

IceMaiden73 Sat 11-Jun-16 14:59:05

There will be a way - are you looking at renting or buying?

Hotwaterbottle1 Sat 11-Jun-16 15:02:15

We have a mortgage at the moment which is much cheaper than renting (did up couple of houses so have a lowish mortgage) but still finishing an extension so no completion certificate.

HeddaGarbled Sat 11-Jun-16 18:00:59

Smaller & less nice houses/flats in less nice areas, I'm afraid : (

SortingStuffStill Sat 11-Jun-16 18:12:22

Push them down the stairs and claim on life insurance?! If there were a just world, maybe... Answer is as pp said, sadly.

Hotwaterbottle1 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:30:41

Our mortgage is so low it's actually cheaper than a smaller house in a less nice area!!

inabizzlefam Sat 11-Jun-16 23:35:39

mortgage on my family home (4 bed detached with garage, double driveway, ensuite, utility room, etc) was £256.00 per month.
Yes it was cheap, yet I chose to move into a 2 bed house in a shitty area that cost £425.00 per month rather than stay with DH.
Depends on how badly you want to leave him.

Minime85 Sun 12-Jun-16 08:03:18

Whatever you are doin re split of equity will therefore give you a reasonable deposit based on what you have said? I had to go from a 14yr joint mortgage back up to 20yrs to keep payments where I wanted them to be. Speak to a mortgage adviser when you know what equity you have etc. It's not for you to worry about how he will afford things. It may be amicable and you don't want him to suffer but ultimately you will run your house and he his.

Lunar1 Sun 12-Jun-16 08:06:11

It sounds like you have a decent amount of equity then, I'd get the extension finished and get it on the market. Then you will both have a good deposit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now