Talk

Advanced search

What happened if you had a dog when you seperated?

(7 Posts)
Estimated201 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:36:58

I have a young lively high maintenance large dog which is 2 years old.

When we seperated I wasn't working so moved back to my parents and bought my dog with me. I have since got a job which is full time.

I worry that i won't be able to bring him with me when I get a place of my own as I won't have the time I had before for him

What happened to yours if you had dog(s)?

AprilSkies44 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:41:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoubleCarrick Wed 08-Jun-16 12:47:18

It was non-negotiable as far as I was concerned. As soon as we had the conversation about separating I said "I'm having the dog"

I get a dog walker in when needed but it worked ok at the time because I moved lodgers in so there were people around at all different times.

It also helped that I had a few dog loving friends who were happy to sit with him for a couple of hours if necessary

Estimated201 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:48:04

Thank you. That is very positive.

Unfortunately I cant do shifts, but I could get a dog walker.

I would be worried for him being on his own for any longer than an hour as he gets quite anxious and at the moment is being spoilt at my parents by never being on his own as there are other dogs and my parents dont work.

Estimated201 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:49:58

I am actually a bit worried that my parents wont want to give him up now

needresolution Fri 10-Jun-16 11:41:04

He was my dog to start with so I had him, I looked after his 2 cats for a while but got sick of the mess so gave those back to him when he got his house sorted.

Moanranger Wed 15-Jun-16 20:36:01

Estimated , I don't quite agree with April as I used to assess homes for rescue dogs, a number of which came from homes where circumstances changed ( such as needing to move abroad for work, illness & divorce.) All the breed societies have welfare arms that re-home dogs. And do a very good job of it.
I truly hope you can keep yours, but if the situation is untenable, then re-homing can be the best solution. I had to re-home one when I moved to a different country, and my current dog is a "rescue." Good luck! Divorce is tough for all, including pets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now