Talk

Advanced search

Single Parent - Maintenance etc help please

(6 Posts)
Batman79 Sat 07-May-16 11:36:28

Hi,

When my daughter was one, my parent moved out. Decided that he wanted out. It was up to me to find a new house for us two, then pack up our entire house to move whilst he was at his folks.

Anyway - two years on and the situation is: he pays £42 a week maintenance. He pops in once during the week to see her for a bit after work (sometimes twice but normally once) and then he has her over one night a week at the weekend.

He's since moved from his parents (who were only 20 mins for where my daughter and I live) and now lives 30mins away....30 mins without traffic but it can take over an hour. Now, this was his choice to move there. He collects her and drops her off as ages ago, I read that this is what was done.

Now that he's moved and it's not as convenient - he wants me to drop her all the way in to where he is and/or pick her up. This could take me two hours a trip and when I work from home and with a 3 year old, time is tricky for me.

Does anyone know where I stand on this please? It's stressing me out as I can't afford the petrol or the time each week :'(

Batman79 Sat 07-May-16 11:36:54

Sorry - I meant my PARTNER move out, not parent!!

Fourormore Sat 07-May-16 13:19:08

I'd say no. He moved away, I think he's trying it on.

Myusernameismyusername Wed 25-May-16 07:15:22

When I had to do this we met exactly halfway each time for the drop off and pick up so it was only 15 mins there, 15 mins back

Then we moved to he picks them up when he takes them from me, and I pick them up when I collect them from him.
You should share it

lifeisunjust Wed 25-May-16 08:05:40

Absolutely disagree.
Where a parent moves away, that parent is responsible for the greater distance and should take responsibility and do the extra journey. Great if the other parent is nice enough to meet half way or even go to drop off or pick up, but the parent who didn't move should never be forced to do the extra journey.

Myusernameismyusername Wed 25-May-16 09:17:08

I know but to save conflict it's usually easier to split it evenly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now