Cost of divorce gone up?

(6 Posts)
penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Wed 04-May-16 16:08:57

I sent my divorce petition off in February and enclosed a cheque of £410.

Mid-March I had the petition return by the court as I had made a slight error in filling out the form. As I'm in no rush getting a divorce, I waited a few weeks before sending the divorce petition off again. I enclosed the same cheque.

I just went on to the gov.uk website to check what happens next, and noticed the cost has gone up to £550.

Does this mean they'll return my petition again because the amount is incorrect?

Or will they let me pay the original fee as I initially sent the petition in February?

wabbitears Wed 04-May-16 17:57:08

The fee for a divorce application went up on Monday 21st March to £550 - so if you submitted your amended petition after that date and only paid £410, you will need to pay the rest I'm afraid.

There was only 48 hours notice of the increase given to practitioners meaning that lots of people were in a similar position angry

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Wed 04-May-16 19:57:57

Oh no, I hope they just phone me to request the additional payment instead of sending the whole petition back again.

wabbitears Wed 04-May-16 20:15:01

Call the court in the morning to arrange to to pay the balance of the fee because they won't process the application and your D8 will just languish in a pile somewhere.

ElllieB1 Fri 06-May-16 18:12:58

I'd say you started your application before the 21st. Hopefully it's still the £410, fingers crossed!

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Sat 14-May-16 12:30:53

They returned the entire petition sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now