Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone experience of moving areas after separation/divorce?

(5 Posts)
wishicouldseethefuture Mon 11-Apr-16 19:05:28

Am seeing a solicitor this week to discuss procedures and issues on separating / divorce. I will raise this as one of the questions with them but wanted to ask if anyone has experience of moving areas after separating. This would have been our plan long term if we stayed together - moving to a different area meant we could buy a bigger property which would still apply. We currently rent. My only concern with that plan on my own is that my DH won't be able to move so we would be moving away from him and from current schools : think c.20miles difference. Not sure if the right way to frame this but is this permitted/can I only do this with his consent. Subject to how he reacts to separation - which I anticipate will be badly - I want him to see the dc - ie open to working out convenient contact etc. although one of the reasons for wanting to separate is his attitude to discipline of the dc and his short temper. Will have to see how contact goes - at present it doesn't seem he enjoys time with them much and they irritate him more than anything is mostly what I see. Notwithstanding this I can see him using the dc as a way of causing issues and manipulating what I can and can't do after we separate. So any experiences of how things have worked out practically post split - good and bad, it would be good to get an idea of how well or badly things could go.

bella1968 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:53:51

I would have to say prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best. In my experience once they know you want to separate things can turn ugly.

Try to think of every eventuality and plan ahead, get your ducks in a row as much as you can beforehand.

Good luck.

bella1968 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:55:12

if you do a search on my username you can see my experiences, hopefully this will help but there are positive experiences also so keep positive. flowers

Fidelia Thu 14-Apr-16 06:04:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wishicouldseethefuture Thu 14-Apr-16 13:29:12

Thanks for the responses - it helps to have insight as to how others have dealt with it. Bella - hopefully DH won't be too difficult but I really think that would be asking too much to be honest. Seeing the solicitor shortly so will raise it and see what they say.

Irrespective of DH, I need to bear in mind the dc re a move in terms of making it as smooth as possible for them - a change in the family dynamic and then also school might be too much anyway initially although long term it's something I need to know obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now