Talk

Advanced search

Barrister recommendation near Chippenham, Wilts please.

(11 Posts)
Sprig1 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:01:52

I am self-representing and wondered if anyone could recommend me a (preferably male and not too young) direct access barrister who would travel to Chippenham, Wilts to attend my Final Hearing.
Thanks

Winniethewylde Wed 23-Mar-16 19:33:58

Hi there. I'm very close to where you are and the solicitor I'm using for my divorce might be able to recommend someone, is that of interest?

Sprig1 Thu 24-Mar-16 14:17:00

That would be very helpful, thanks Winnie.

babybarrister Sat 26-Mar-16 16:20:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sprig1 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:39:02

I wasn't planning on declaring my bias! Just trying to narrow the odds of finding someone I was happy with. From experience they are most likely to fall in to this category. Any suggestions (of either gender/any age)?

andintothefire Tue 29-Mar-16 02:11:35

Your post was quite offensive. There is no reason why female barristers won't do as good a job! If you want somebody with experience, that is fine - but to be honest you will probably get better value for money going for a good junior barrister at a well respected set!

andintothefire Tue 29-Mar-16 02:13:39

But on a more constructive note, try calling Pump Court Chambers (which is a good set that deals with cases in that area) or look at Chambers & Partners for recommendations.

Sprig1 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:59:14

Thanks for the recommendation. The reason for a preference was that at my FDR the judge appeared to have a very anti-female bias. I am hoping the judge at my final hearing will not have the same attitude but I am not willing to gamble my future finances on it.

andintothefire Tue 29-Mar-16 20:38:17

To be fair, you're just as (if not more) likely to come across a judge with a pro-female bias! wink But good luck with it all.

By the way, the Bar Council I think has a directory of direct access barristers that may also be helpful. However there are some very bad barristers about so I would make sure you only instruct somebody from a reputable set of chambers. It is usually a good rule of thumb to check that their Chambers has at least a few QCs because it suggests there is good quality at the junior end too.

babybarrister Wed 30-Mar-16 17:28:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sprig1 Wed 30-Mar-16 17:35:15

Thanks everyone. Yes, I know I can't get the same judge as at FDR (and it is a relief!). I have a few suggestions to follow up now so hopefully will find someone I am happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now