Talk

Advanced search

Barrister recommendation near Chippenham, Wilts please.

(11 Posts)
Sprig1 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:01:52

I am self-representing and wondered if anyone could recommend me a (preferably male and not too young) direct access barrister who would travel to Chippenham, Wilts to attend my Final Hearing.
Thanks

Winniethewylde Wed 23-Mar-16 19:33:58

Hi there. I'm very close to where you are and the solicitor I'm using for my divorce might be able to recommend someone, is that of interest?

Sprig1 Thu 24-Mar-16 14:17:00

That would be very helpful, thanks Winnie.

babybarrister Sat 26-Mar-16 16:20:22

You are not allowed to discriminate on a gender or age basis by selecting a male and old barrister. No barrister is allowed to accept such instructions either

If you were a man and had indicated you wanted a man, there would rightly be a riot ...

Sprig1 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:39:02

I wasn't planning on declaring my bias! Just trying to narrow the odds of finding someone I was happy with. From experience they are most likely to fall in to this category. Any suggestions (of either gender/any age)?

andintothefire Tue 29-Mar-16 02:11:35

Your post was quite offensive. There is no reason why female barristers won't do as good a job! If you want somebody with experience, that is fine - but to be honest you will probably get better value for money going for a good junior barrister at a well respected set!

andintothefire Tue 29-Mar-16 02:13:39

But on a more constructive note, try calling Pump Court Chambers (which is a good set that deals with cases in that area) or look at Chambers & Partners for recommendations.

Sprig1 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:59:14

Thanks for the recommendation. The reason for a preference was that at my FDR the judge appeared to have a very anti-female bias. I am hoping the judge at my final hearing will not have the same attitude but I am not willing to gamble my future finances on it.

andintothefire Tue 29-Mar-16 20:38:17

To be fair, you're just as (if not more) likely to come across a judge with a pro-female bias! wink But good luck with it all.

By the way, the Bar Council I think has a directory of direct access barristers that may also be helpful. However there are some very bad barristers about so I would make sure you only instruct somebody from a reputable set of chambers. It is usually a good rule of thumb to check that their Chambers has at least a few QCs because it suggests there is good quality at the junior end too.

babybarrister Wed 30-Mar-16 17:28:52

If you have had an FDR then there is one absolute certainty which is that you cannot have the same judge for the final hearing as they are not allowed to hear the case as they are aware of the without prejudice offers ....

FWIW there are lots of women sitting as judges at this level in any event ...

Sprig1 Wed 30-Mar-16 17:35:15

Thanks everyone. Yes, I know I can't get the same judge as at FDR (and it is a relief!). I have a few suggestions to follow up now so hopefully will find someone I am happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now