What to do?

(2 Posts)
sunflowerfi Tue 22-Mar-16 22:11:48

Five years ago I bought the house I am living in with my ex husband taking out a joint mortgage. A year later he moved out (at my request due to his increasing emotionally abusive behaviour).
For the last four years I have been living in the house and paying the mortgage although obviously the house is in both of our names. I can afford the mortgage and I like the house and the area. However more and more things are needing repairing on the house which I cannot afford as I have no spare money. Along with this I have built up debt on credit cards and an over draft.
I have not been able to get a divorce as the house situation has not been resolved.
I know the mortgage company would not put it in just my name and even if they would, I couldn't afford to buy him out (and would think why should I when he has paid nothing towards the mortgage or repairs).
I am just at a loss for what to do to move on with my life-sell the house and use the profit to pay off debts and invest into starting up my own business (which I am in the early stages of planning out) or try and get some agreement in place legally keeping him on the mortgage but with me living in the house.
If I did make a profit on the equity, would this affect my entitlement to benefits such as tax credits and housing benefit?
Thanks for any help

juneau Wed 23-Mar-16 10:10:51

Get divorced and sell the house. You can't afford it on your own (as you detail above), and do you really want to be shackled to this EA man four years on? FGS get the ball rolling. You've been separated long enough for it to be a fairly straight-forward divorce. And yes, if you have a windfall on a house sale it can affect your entitlement to benefits, but you need to move on with your life. Don't let that hold you back. Go and talk to the CAB if you want detailed info, but unless you know the amount of money involved I suspect you won't get a full answer.

1) Get house valued;
2) Get divorce ball rolling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now