Talk

Advanced search

What do you wished you known at the start of your separation....

(2 Posts)
Nafnaf Tue 15-Mar-16 21:10:14

Hello,

I'm at the very beginning of my journey into separation... so much so my partner doesn't know i want to leave yet.

I'm at the stage of "getting my ducks" in a row. I need help. I don't know where to start with all the financial stuff. I haven't told him i want to leave because i'm scared i cant cope financially on my own.

Can you spam me links to help sift through all the information out there.

Our current situation is we are in private rented (both names on lease) i work part time (22 hours per week),he is a contractor and has his own company. On paper i'm the bread winner because my monthly salary is higher, but he gets other benefits i.e dividends, fuel payments, rent payments from business, which means he earns significantly more. We also have a DC.

We live in an expensive city and i can't manage rent for a house for me and dc and pay bills and nursery on my salary.Moving in with parents isnt an option.

If anyone can offer a glimmer of hope id really appreciate it. What did other people do in my situation?

fusspot66 Tue 15-Mar-16 21:45:33

You do need to quietly ascertain any proof of the scale of his earnings as contracters are good at hiding their income. You could go on entitledto.com to.see what working tax credit and housing benefit etc you might get based on your earnings. Child maintenance does not alter that sum as it can fluctuate on the whim of the non resident parent sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now