Advanced search

Coerced to sell.

(3 Posts)
Kefte123 Tue 08-Mar-16 11:42:09


Me and my partner jointly owned two rental properties. They were inheritance from my mother to me and my brother, and my partner took out a loan to cover my brother's share. This happened in 2008.

Last year, my partner hadn't been keeping up the payments on the loan, partly because one was without a tenant - so we were forced to sell. So we sold one property for the asking-price. Unfortunately the other property was rented to his parents (against my wishes), and they'd put a new kitchen and bathroom in the property, and were unwilling to let us put the property onto the market - told us if we did they'd try to sue us (which I told my partner at the time they couldn't do as tenants). But anyway, my partner decided to sell them the house for half the market value - they bullied me, and with no family and friends to support me, I agreed. I then changed my mind again - but was told by my partner that I wasn't allowed to change my mind and was quite abusive to me about it.

Him and his family have been bullying and abusing me for a long time - and turned me into a nervous wreck. Seeing them gives me panic attacks. I'm terrified of people coming into my home - because after cleaning my home from top to bottom they told my partner that our home was disgusting and smelt - and it has given me low self esteem. One time, they went to see my son in his Natvity and then told my son a teacher had said our son was 'scruffy at school' - after talking to my son's school, this turned out to be a lie. They throw away my children's clothes I send them in (including Clarks shoes), and give me new 'cheaper' shoes as replacements - my children do a lot of walking and playing outside, so their shoes become worn. They've vetoed all our options - my partner was once offered a job in Cumbria, and they told him he shouldn't go, so we didn't (they like to keep him close-by). They've also physically threatened me with violence.

I need to leave my partner, but I am afraid. And I also want the money they coerced me to give to them in equity back. Again, I'm afraid. Has anyone got any advice for me? Who can I turn to?

Heatherjayne1972 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:59:06

Get to a solicitor ASAP lots do free half an hour. Get advised with where you stand legally and then leave this toxic family Speak to Womens aid and / or CAB they can be very helpful about housing money benefits etc. But sounds like you need to leave soon as you can

Kefte123 Thu 10-Mar-16 12:59:47

Thank-you for your advice. I'll look at solicitors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now