Talk

Advanced search

Passport renewal - can I put my maiden name if still married?

(8 Posts)
tbtc20 Thu 11-Feb-16 11:45:55

My existing passport is under my married name ie tbtc20 Married_name

I need to get my passport renewed as I am travelling in April ie I cannot wait until my divorce is finalised before applying.

Can I put tbtc20 Maiden_name on the form?

It says:

Surname ----

Maiden or all previous names (surname first). If you do not provide all previous names it may delay the application.---

So could I do
Surname : Maiden_name
Maiden or all previous names: Married_name

Would I need to put Maiden name under the 'all previous names' section as well as I will have been known as Maiden then Married.

I guess to avoid any delay it would be most straight forward to simply use my married name and then when the divorce goes through.

Or maybe I am overthinking it all and can just put what I like.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 11-Feb-16 15:32:53

I'm not sure you can without the decree absolute.
Go into a post office and ask.
If there are any changes to your previous passport then they will need proof of changes you want to make.
I still have my married name on my passport.
I shall change it soon to my maiden name and will have to send a copy of divorce papers with the passport.

tbtc20 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:12:29

Asking the PO is a good idea, thank you.

I've just realised that my tickets have been booked in my married name so if I do get my new passport in my maiden name I'd have to update the tickets.

I can see me arriving at the airport and it all going pear shaped!

tbtc20 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:15:19

Asking the PO is a good idea, thank you.

I've just realised that my tickets have been booked in my married name so if I do get my new passport in my maiden name I'd have to update the tickets.

I can see me arriving at the airport and it all going pear shaped!

Ah, just found this:
If you are going back to your maiden or unmarried
name, we also need all of the following.

- Your birth certificate
- A decree absolute showing both names
- A marriage certificate showing both names
- A signed statement saying that you now use your maiden name for all purposes

I don't even know if I have my birth certificate. I guess I can get another one.

I can just see lots of £££££££
Sigh.

hellsbellsmelons Fri 12-Feb-16 08:33:14

Well I certainly don't have a marriage certificate.
You have to give it over when you are divorcing.
I think this is going to be harder than I thought.
I have no idea where my birth cert is either.
What a nightmare!

When my dad booked a holiday a little ago he used my maiden name and my passport was in my married name. It held us up for a bit but it was OK.
But my maiden name is part of my married name (double barreled) so it was easier.

tbtc20 Fri 12-Feb-16 08:49:07

Oh yeah....I handed over my marriage cert. I have a photocopy though. It makes no sense if they're asking for a decree absolute AND marriage cert.

tbtc20 Fri 12-Feb-16 09:01:02

I have written to the Queen www.gov.uk to see whether photocopy of marriage cert is OK.

tbtc20 Fri 12-Feb-16 11:51:44

Reply from the Queen gov.uk "Her Majesty's Passport Office do not accept photocopies of documents. If original documents are lost or unavailable you may obtain copies from the Registrar. Copies issued by the Registrar are accepted."

So, I'll have to get a copy. That's a tenner. Seems like a nice little earner there - insist you hand in your original, then have official things require a proper copy so you have to pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now