Talk

Advanced search

Will I have to pay towards husbands debt in divorce settlement?

(3 Posts)
Startingout2015 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:47:14

Sold the house and stbxh has instructed the conveyancing solicitor to hold the money as we cant agree on a split.

I want 50/50 no less.

He wants me to pay £5k towards debts that he says I always knew about but won't show me proof or tell me the extent and I never knew we had the debt.

He says that he will go to solicitor and fight me for it but when I said due to his previous financial abuse towards me it's likely to be ruled in my favour he just laughed.

Should I just agree to his request if it's likely took in his favour or is there a bigger chance that i won't need to pay it?

shoeaddict83 Mon 25-Jan-16 13:21:53

why would you agree to pay something you dont even have proof exists!! Go back to your solicitor and tell them to write a letter to your STBXH request financial disclosure for the divorce. Are you drawing up a financial agreement/consent order? If so he has to be transparent with all income/debts anyway so he can laugh all he likes!
Also if debt is solely in his name from what i have read you are not liable unless it can be proved the debt was beneficial to you (eg home improvement etc) only joint debts/assets are part of any settlement. However as i said im not a solicitor so go see one - even for a free 1/2 hour consult to check where you stand.

If i were you i would not hand over any money at all until i had legal advice on where i stood, his word is not good enough.

JanuaryKat Mon 25-Jan-16 21:07:54

Have you exchanged Form E?
Working out a 50/50 slpit would be quite difficult without having full financial disclosure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now