Advanced search

Seraration and benefits

(10 Posts)
mjmo0oseface Tue 19-Jan-16 11:28:38

Not sure if this is the right/best place to post this but hoping for some advice, please!

Dh and I have made the decision to split. I won't go into the reasons but we both agreed it was the right thing to do. We have been married for just over 4 years and have a 3 year old son. It is an amicable split and whilst DS will live with me, he will spend weekends and a day in the week with his dad, as well as any other time Dh wants to see him. Dh is nearly 29, I am nearly 24.

We rent a council flat and receive some housing benefit. Dh works 24 hours a week on minimum wage. We get child benefit, child tax credits and working tax credits including help with childcare.

I am studying and on placement to get a qualification that will lead to a job. I am also carer of my DS who has autism and receives the hight rates of DLA.I have started looking for paid jobs now, too.

Dh also has his own mental health issues and has applied for PIP but is waiting for a decision back on that.

Will he be able to stay in the 2 bedroom flat and be entitled to housing benefit? Will he have to pay the bedroom tax or not as he has regular access to his son who will be staying over half the week?

What happens with tax credits when you split?

Will I get housing benefit if I am under 25?

Because of Dh's mental health, I have promised to help sort out all of his finances and benefits etc because he cannot do it himself or fill out the forms. I know it will be best to speak to the council etc and I will do but was hoping for some advice to see how we will both fare financially on splitting.

Thanks for reading!

DeoGratias Tue 19-Jan-16 19:10:48

I think tax credits go to the parent who has the most time with the child. I have never been lucky enough to receive them as I earn too much! I don't even get child benefit. There seem to be a lot of things you are entitled to from the state here so probably best to speak to the council about them.
There is some new rule about under 25s comgin i. Could you live with parents to be less a burden on full time working tax payers?

mjmo0oseface Wed 20-Jan-16 10:27:32

Last sentence was a teeny bit harsh.

My parents are divorced and live in a different city. One is currently sectioned in a mental health hospital. The other has 4 of my siblings at home. So not an option.

Whatever help I get will be temporary. I am studying for a qualification and gaining experience in a field that will lead to a job that will fit in with my young son's routines. I don't want to rely on the government forever, believe me. I just needed to know how our finances would be in the immediate aftermath of a split whilst we get back on our own two feet.

Fairylea Wed 20-Jan-16 10:29:41

Wow Deo ! Way too harsh. Not everyone has a crystal ball! hmmbiscuit

Op look on the turn to us website and fill in their benefit calculator. It will tell you what and how much you are entitled to and how to claim.

DeoGratias Wed 20-Jan-16 15:29:35

I am sure all benefits claimants would like not have to take any state benefits at all and spare full time working mothers the tax burden. It is usually simply that they have not had the chance to get a full time job or they have not been told if they move to XYZ city they could find a full time job. The more we can help them with that the better and the better for single working mothers who have to pay a lot of tax to keep them.

mjmo0oseface Wed 20-Jan-16 18:13:01

You know, I have worked before now and paid tax. And I am only 23 and will be (hopefully) back at work full time this year. That means 40 odd more years of work and paying taxes... I don't have any shame in taking a few years out to look after my son who has a disability and requires a lot of care because I knew it was always going to be temporary. The truth is, once I move, I will be a single mother and I will be entitled to a shitload of money just for being a single mother. But that is not the way I want to live my life and it is not the example I want to set for my son. I find your tone extremely judgemental.

Not everyone can just up and leave and move to another city for work.

I am so happy that you earn too much to have never needed government help. Good for you.

mjmo0oseface Wed 20-Jan-16 18:13:48

Fairylea thank you for your help! I will have a look on their website now.

Fairylea Wed 20-Jan-16 20:41:05

Deo you clearly didn't even read the post. Op has a child on high rate dla (as do I), it's not a case of not working enough or not working full time - op IS working full time as a full time carer (for which the government pays the measly rate of £62.10 a week, if people like myself and op didn't provide full time care the government would have to pay a lot more to support disabled children and adults alike). You clearly just have no idea.

I used to have a very highly paid job like yourself Deo where I was able to work without claiming any benefits at all, not even tax credits etc. Then my son was born and has severe autism, he sleeps max 4 hours a night and needs 24/7 care. But I guess I should go and get a full time job, right?

Op good luck, you'll be okay. flowersflowers

velocitygir1 Thu 21-Jan-16 22:10:46

First post here but what to say what a bloody spiteful thing to say deo! Like she doesn't feel awful enough that's it kick her whilst she's down. Just vile!

Ignore her!!! And good luck

mjmo0oseface Sun 24-Jan-16 18:38:28

Thanks velocitygir1 and Fairylea smile

Had everything worked out in my head until I realised Universal Credit comes to our area tomorrow!!!

flowers to you too Fairylea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now