Talk

Advanced search

FDR - How much time is usually allocated?

(10 Posts)
Sprig1 Sat 05-Dec-15 15:06:40

I have received a date for my FDR. The probably length of hearing is 1hr. Is this normal? It sounds short to me.

STIDW Sat 05-Dec-15 17:57:41

That's standard. It's a directions hearing & the judge will consider the available evidence, direct what more information is required to assist the court make a decision later & sets a timetable for future hearings.

babybarrister Sat 05-Dec-15 18:27:50

that is just the time in court - the reality is that you need to organise yourself so that you are at court ALL DAY to negotiate outside of the hearing room .....

Sprig1 Sat 05-Dec-15 18:44:34

Thanks. Babybarrister - that is what I thought but our appointment is at 1400hrs on a Friday afternoon. I have visions of it being a mad rush to get rid of us so they can go home for the weekend!

user9576 Sun 06-Dec-15 09:54:29

An fdr is a financial dispute resolution hearing.

Do you have a solicitor acting for you? If do they should have explained the process

In summary the idea is that by that stage you have both given full financial disclosure and the full picture in terms of the finances should be known

The parties then come together at the fdr with a view to making offers to resolve matters. The judge at an fdr hearing plays an active role and will often give an indication if what they feel might be fair in the circumstances , but can't force a settlement .

You will therefore need to prepare to be there all afternoon. Check your last court order as there is usually a direction that parties attend 30 mins before

If you don't settle the case will most likely then go to a final hearing

Hope this helps

Namechanger2015 Sun 06-Dec-15 11:12:40

I have just had a letter confirming an FDR hearing - just 30 mins long. Also seems very short to me, but it sounds like it's standard?

Sprig1 Sun 06-Dec-15 16:34:37

User9576, thanks, I am aware of the process and that is why I was querying the short time allocated and I am also slightly concerned that we are scheduled late in the day on a Friday.
Thanks Namechanger, pleased it is not just me!

babybarrister Mon 07-Dec-15 10:21:09

the timing on the order is frankly irrelevant - you must be there at least an hour beforehand and be prepared to be at court until it shuts at about 5!
there may well be other courts listed for the same time - the point of an FDR is to negotiate outside court - not to go into court!

Suzietwo Sun 13-Dec-15 21:07:38

Don't forget the all important judges indication to avoid at all costs !

Namechanger2015 Mon 14-Dec-15 16:12:27

Don't forget the all important judges indication to avoid at all costs!

Not too sure what this means?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now