Talk

Advanced search

Financial settlement negotiations

(9 Posts)
financialwizard Wed 18-Nov-15 08:36:30

My stbx is very angry at me for leaving him. I don't want to go into why but let's just say I have good reason. Although I still feel guilty as I was the one who ended it.

House went on the market and we received an agreeable offer just after nisi came through. Now stbx is discussing financials with me even though he wants me to go through his solicitor alone. Last night he told me he couldn't give a monkeys that I have to house both of my children and that it is 'my problem'. He is under the illusion that my parents will help me house myself and the children (one of which is his) to enable himself to buy on. Trouble is they don't have the money. He also has access to tied accommodation which is heavily subsidised.

Is the court going to see the fact I have to house the kids or will they just go 50/50?

I am so stressed out now that I can't think straight.

babybarrister Wed 18-Nov-15 11:38:19

1. his solicitor will refuse to advise you - they are not allowed to advise both parties - you need to get your own asap - have a look at the Resolution website

2. the housing needs of the children will be the court's primary consideration - have a look at s25 Matrimonial Causes Act 1973

financialwizard Wed 18-Nov-15 20:14:40

I have a solicitor but cannot afford to pay her to negotiate the financials because his solicitor has advised him to reduce what he is paying towards the house monthly so I am struggling to make ends meet, let alone pay legal fees.

I have looked at the act, I think I am just stressing out because he is so adamant he will get far more than I think he will be able to.

Only time will tell I guess.

TooSassy Thu 19-Nov-15 13:58:04

OP.

Stop panicking. Firstly, the courts absolute priority will be ensuring you have somewhere to live and to house yourself and your DC's.

How old is your DC?
How much does he have the DC from an access POV?

financialwizard Thu 19-Nov-15 19:17:22

I have two. Eldest is not his but is in his teens and starting gcse's. The youngest is our baby and she is 5.

He has had a parenting plan drawn up which asks for every other weekend and 4 weeks of holiday per year.

financialwizard Wed 25-Nov-15 06:01:53

Finally got his offer. It is laughable. Have countered with an equally laughable offer but I'm worried if I don't hit hard back he will take advantage of my babies and end up making us homeless.

financialwizard Mon 14-Dec-15 14:03:45

Nearly 3 weeks and still no counter offer from him, nor a request for mediation. This is taking the piss.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 14-Dec-15 14:17:14

Don't listen to him at all. Try not to talk to him - you'll do much better than you think you will. I'd be surprised if he gets anything.

financialwizard Tue 15-Dec-15 21:26:52

Irony. I get the offer today. He has countered with a 70/30 split in my favour with pensions and savings (all 1k) to be left alone. With the threat that if I don't agree he will pull out of the house sale. I've instructed my solicitor to draw it up. It covers what I need and frankly mine and the kids sanity are worth more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now