Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I self file for divorce now before house is sold?

(4 Posts)
Beaverfever Mon 19-Oct-15 22:22:39

Been separated 2 months.
I left
Ex promised to put house up for sale straight away. Got it ready for sale and got estate agents round to value it

He now seems to be delaying putting it on the market and is ignoring me when I ask about it

I want to file for divorce and filled the forms out tonight.

If I start proceedings will this have any affect on the house being sold?

MichaelEdwards Tue 20-Oct-15 10:38:51

The asset division thing looks simple but it becomes more and more complex when the trial comes closer. The best way is to find the right divorce lawyer, they will provide you most accurate solution and will explain you the situation of where you are standing currently.

Sprig1 Tue 20-Oct-15 13:39:32

You can get the ball rolling on the divorce but it is recommended not to proceed with the absolute until finances are all agreed. That doesn't mean you can't sell the house but it may meant that if it sells quickly that you need to hold the house money somewhere central for a while.

DivorceAlchemist Tue 20-Oct-15 15:50:53

Beaverfever under the regulations, you must attend mediation prior to issuing a divorce petition. Mediation will be cheaper than using a lawyer exclusively and you may qualify for public funding. You must both agree on the value of your home if you both own it. This and other financial matters can be discussed in mediation. If agreement is reached in mediation, you can ask a lawyer to draft a Consent Order for you. If you choose not to use mediation, you must still get a form signed to say that you have been. You can then issue your petition. Resolve your finances before the Decree Absolute.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now