Advanced search

Do I need to change by deed poll if I want to revert to maiden name before divorce?

(11 Posts)
Beaverfever Thu 15-Oct-15 09:10:40

Separated 2 months ago.
Divorce proceedings haven't yet started.

I want to be back to my maiden name as soon as possible.

I don't need to change my passport, just banking and drivers liscence.

Do I need to change by deed poll to do this now or can I do it without?

Moanranger Thu 15-Oct-15 20:01:13

It is really cheap to change by deed poll; that's what I did, so no ambiguity

Pico2 Thu 15-Oct-15 20:02:43

No, you can change your name any time you like to any name you like. You just have to use the name.

confusedaboutlostpassword Mon 19-Oct-15 08:03:18

There are deed polls online that are recognised legally (I used one when I went to the passport office) and they are free. Nobody should charge a penny for you to change your name. I've had no problem anywhere. A married name is just a name we assume. Our maiden name is still ours to use.

You can print a free deed poll online which needs 2 witnesses. Or you can show marriage certificate and decree absolute, although you obviously won't have them yet. Possibly you can show bank birth certificate and marriage certificate and that may be ok. Good luck.

poocatcherchampion Mon 19-Oct-15 08:11:28

Are you saying your passport is still in your maiden name or that you font have one?

If the former I would use that for ID in changing everything else.

financialwizard Mon 19-Oct-15 09:48:43

Ask a stupid question (because I have been wondering the same) how do you show the marriage certificate and decree absolute? My marriage certificate is with the court.

ToadsforJustice Mon 19-Oct-15 09:56:23

Your name is the one on your birth certificate. It's custom and practice for some women take their husbands name. As Pico2 said - just change your name.

LittleCandle Mon 19-Oct-15 10:02:28

It depends where you live. Are you in England or Scotland, because in Scotland, you always keep your maiden name and are referred to as an 'or woman' legally. On documents, it will state your forename, married name and then say 'or' and your maiden name. I believe it is different in England, where if you want to revert to your maiden name after the divorce, you need to change it legally. In Scotland, you just revert back, telling whoever you need to tell (tax etc)

financialwizard Mon 19-Oct-15 14:50:02

Am in England. Last time I got divorced (second time) I reverted back using decree absolute and birth certificate but some banks don't accept that anymore.

Beaverfever Mon 19-Oct-15 20:53:35

I am in England.

My passport is still in my maiden name as i never changed it as I had years left on it (only married 3 years)

So i have to wait until divorced to change my name properly rather than using deedpoll?

Pico2 Tue 20-Oct-15 09:16:03

No, just use your maiden name now. Use your passport to change it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: