Advanced search

International legal issue

(17 Posts)
ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Fri 02-Oct-15 01:12:00

I am looking for an organisation in the USA that might be able to help me with a dispute with my ex. He has done something which is probably going to impact on our children (who reside with him in the states, long fucking story).
I know that legally there is something that I can probably do but it will cost me the best part of three thousand dollars, which is money I can ill afford at the moment. As I am not a USA resident/citizen I suspect I have no recourse to any form of legal aid within the USA. This is a desperate last ditch attempt to try and find a legal body within the USA that might be able in some way to help me.
I would be amazed if such a thing exists but I have to at least try.
Google is not helping me to find anything.
Help please?

Iflyaway Fri 02-Oct-15 01:48:53

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Have you heard of Reunite?

They may be able to help or at least give you some pointers.

Good luck with it!

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Fri 02-Oct-15 11:05:39

Thank you for the link. I have contacted another lawyer through their website and I will also be approaching the lawyer who represented me in the divorce today as well.
But basically, I think financially it is going to be out of my reach to do anything sad

VimFuego101 Fri 02-Oct-15 16:54:16

I think reunite are your best bet. Bear in mind that lawyers are only licensed to practice in certain states, and the law on child custody varies by state, so make sure the lawyers you are contacting are licensed to practice in the state where your children live.

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Sat 03-Oct-15 02:57:23

All reunite had to offer was three lawyers contact details, two of which I had to dismiss straight away, as their practices were nowhere near the location that they needed to be near.
I have contacted the third and will hopefully receive a reply on Monday.
But I don't expect it to be good news sad

VimFuego101 Sat 03-Oct-15 11:09:10

Sorry to hear that. Which state are you looking for? Unfortunately the U.S. is not especially helpful to non-US citizen parents. Have you tried searching on the British Expats forum?

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Sat 03-Oct-15 12:37:19

I don't feel comfortable putting which state out there. Ex knows I am on mumsnet and it wouldn't take him too much searching to find this thread as it is.
Which ex-pat website, as I know there are a couple?

VimFuego101 Sat 03-Oct-15 16:16:53

I was talking about the USA forum on Maybe you could contact the state governors office to assist too?

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Mon 05-Oct-15 13:35:21

I will go and look at that forum now. Thank you for pointing me towards it.

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Mon 05-Oct-15 13:36:35

I am going to look at the forum now. Thank you for pointing me in that direction.

VimFuego101 Mon 05-Oct-15 13:59:35

Good luck. has reviews on lawyers and a useful Q and A section too.

atticusclaw2 Mon 05-Oct-15 14:03:07

I am currently dealing with a child residence issues involving the US and the legal costs are incredibly high to do anything at all (six figures).

Fuckitfay Mon 05-Oct-15 14:09:26

You could contact the US Central authority - the Office of International Judical Assistance

They deal with Hague Convention cases in America if you know what The Hague Convention is and may be able to tell you about any such organisation as the one you are looking for. Can you say a bit more about the type of issue this is?

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Mon 05-Oct-15 15:52:45

The issue is that a woman who my ex-husband has known for five weeks (on the date she moved in) has moved into the property with her two children.
My ex says that he cannot see the problem.
I have spoken to a lawyer, whose recommendation was to file an emergent hearing in order to get her removed. In order to do this, I would have had to pay him a retainer of three thousand dollars.
I can't file it myself as I would have to physically go to the court. This is at the moment, a thing that is not easily achieved.

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Mon 05-Oct-15 15:54:44

I am currently on hold to a legal assistance helpline for the state in which they reside.
Once I have spoken to them, I will contact judicial assistance number.

ThinkingThisisHopelessbut Mon 05-Oct-15 15:56:53

Thank you to everyone who has posted advice. It has helped me find things that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Richywalters12 Tue 13-Oct-15 23:04:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now