Advanced search

Who's done a DIY divorce?

(8 Posts)
despicableshe Thu 30-Jul-15 17:50:10

Quite simply I'm skint (so's he) and would like to keep solicitors out of the divorce process as much as possible, so just submitting the forms to the local court and getting a clean break order/agreement. We're aiming to be amicable and hope to work out an agreement regarding childcare. Any advice or pitfalls to avoid?

Minime85 Thu 30-Jul-15 18:43:23

Hi there. We did that. It's 410 for the divorce. I filled out forms and showed them to him first so he knew what was coming with unreasonable behaviour. Used advice from on line and I did have one very useful appointment with a solicitor too. You have to use evidence of things in the 6 months before you separated and need to date some of them. I only dated two. I copied wording from a website I found to make sure it sounded legal enough.

The consent order (finances) was more complicated but we did that ourselves too. Again found it on line. Good luck

BrassicaBabe Thu 30-Jul-15 19:00:19

I did one myself. No kids and all very simple. I found a site wikivorce really really helpful x

Ellie88 Fri 31-Jul-15 09:38:23

Didn't know you could do your own clean break order.

despicableshe Fri 31-Jul-15 09:58:28

not sure if I can Ellie88 , I'm looking into it

Shesparkles Fri 31-Jul-15 10:02:18

I did it but it was 20+ years ago, and in Scotland. We did it after 2 years separation, the were no children and no property. I think it cost about £60 at the time! I was most disappointed when the divorce came through and it was just a piece of A4 with a couple of lines amd the court stamp. It was momentous for me, I wanted something fancy!!

cuppateaahhh Fri 31-Jul-15 12:30:28

I did one 16 years ago - was very easy (I had house & child) but exH was an idiot so didn't know any different and signed everything. Like sparkles said, the nisi was just a piece of paper.
Was about £200 when I did it.

murrell0cherri Sun 02-Aug-15 14:30:55

If its a simple divorce, no property, no pensions to share etc then DIY divorce is an option.

You can also apply for a fee remission/redemption if you meet the income criteria, Form EX160.

There are some great sites out there,, wikivorce, DivorceBox, CAB

I found them to be very helpful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: