Advanced search

My husband won't sign our Divorce papers

(8 Posts)
rutlandsad Tue 28-Jul-15 22:45:30

My husband won't sign our divorce papers cos he doesn't like the way he has been described in my statement.

lifebeginsat42 Wed 29-Jul-15 09:40:26

I'm assuming you're going for unreasonable behaviour? Ideally you want this to be straightforward, so is there any way you could discuss which parts have offended him the most and tone these down a bit. I know you might want to hit him with everything but for the sake of making it as painless as possible then the main thing is to make it unreasonable enough to get the courts to agree to a divorce, whilst still acceptable to you both.

What does your solicitor advise should be the next step?

reubensfriend Wed 29-Jul-15 09:43:08

Mine wouldn't either so I provided my solicitor with a photo, they served the papers to him and he had no choice, job done! Good luck.

bettyboop1000 Wed 29-Jul-15 09:45:04

Mine didn't either so his solicitor advised him to write a letter stating what he disagreed with, adding it to the papers and then he signed it.

Ditto for my DP. His ex wrote a letter too and then she signed the papers.

murrell0cherri Wed 29-Jul-15 14:14:43

Assuming that you are still speaking

May I suggest a practical approach?

Try explaining the practical consequences of not signing.

If he intends to 'defend' the divorce it will end up costing him money.

Most divorces are undefended for a reason as it allows for quick and cost efficient separation.

The court is not interested in the details (sometimes messy) of a divorce.

They are only concerned with the 'ground' irretrievable breakdown of a marriage.

So if he agrees that you should still divorce it's in his best interests to make it as simple as possible.

If he no longer agrees on divorcing that's a whole other post.

If it really is the content of your statement, explain that a undefended divorce is almost a procedural matter as far as the courts are concerned, that your statement was not intended to offend, its hard to judge what to include and what to leave out, but that practically if you have already submitted your application to the court/divorce centre the easiest way to resolve this is to sign the form.

Undefended divorces are not a matter of public record, so only the two of you and your respective solicitors will know what was in the application.

Hope this helps

despicableshe Thu 30-Jul-15 17:22:51

According to the Government services website, if he doesn't respond within 21 days the proceedings can continue as though he's agreed: here

lavenderhoney Thu 30-Jul-15 20:43:12

Mine didn't either and he also refused to acknowledge receipt of anything.

He lives abroad so it was even more difficult, as the embassy would have had to get involved.

In the end, my sol took the papers and all his nasty emails to the judge and apparently they said " that poor woman, of course she must be allowed her divorce" and that was that.

He then tried to take me to court for desertion, divorcing him and he also was uncomfortable with the reasons, he admitted them but didn't want them documented. Apparently I was being unreasonable.

financialwizard Fri 31-Jul-15 14:18:02

despicableshe I'm glad I read this and saw that link. Makes me feel much more relaxed about my own situ now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: