Talk

Advanced search

Can I engage a solicitor solely to sort the finances?

(4 Posts)
SearchingForSomething Wed 22-Jul-15 17:42:48

My husband and I are just starting to look into the divorce procedures following our split last year. We're on pretty amicable terms and don't want to create undue stress or spend more money than necessary.

I've had a look at the divorce forms online and they don't look too complicated so i was wondering whether it a solicitor would be happy to act for me purely on the financial settlement side of things and not get involved in the initial divorce application/responding (we haven't decided who the petitioner will be yet) to save me money? Is this a done thing?

In case it's relevant, I think my ex is going for one of those fixed fee jobbies from one of the bigger firms, but I still see that as a bit of a waste of £600 on what seems to be straightforward paperwork.

We shouldn't have a particularly complex financial agreement as we don't have children and it's only really our jointly owned flat, car and possibly a bit of pension allowance to think about. I do still want the advice of a lawyer on this stuff though as I have incurred all of the disruption after we split: spent lots of money on renting my own place, moved twice and basically want a fair deal that takes that into account. (As much as is fair - I'm not remotely interested in screwing him over!)

I will speak to a couple of firms in the next few days but thought I would seek out some opinions here too if anyone would be kind enough to advise.

Many thanks in advance smile

NoMoreDelays Wed 22-Jul-15 18:04:16

Yes you can do this.
You might also consider a direct access barrister to advise/represent you on the finances if you are willing to lodge court forms etc yourself.

babybarrister Wed 22-Jul-15 20:54:46

Yes - divorce itself v straightforward but finances not

babybarrister Wed 22-Jul-15 20:55:59

Yes - divorce itself v straightforward but finances not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now